How to deworm!?

Apr 19, 2022
221B Baker Street
Hi there,

My Lavender Orpington has been unhealthy for a bit now. She's very skinny, and her comb is pale and a little droopy. I thought it might be worms, but every time I've seen her poop, it's looked like normal fecal matter. Yesterday I saw some droppings in the coop that definitely have worms. I'm assuming this is from my LO Silvara as everyone else appears to be healthy, but I'm not 100% sure. Is there a med that I can mix into the coop waterer for them all to drink? I have about 30 chickens of all sorts of weights and two guinea fowl that use the same waterer.

Thanks,
DST

Hi there,

My Lavender Orpington has been unhealthy for a bit now. She's very skinny, and her comb is pale and a little droopy. I thought it might be worms, but every time I've seen her poop, it's looked like normal fecal matter. Yesterday I saw some droppings in the coop that definitely have worms. I'm assuming this is from my LO Silvara as everyone else appears to be healthy, but I'm not 100% sure. Is there a med that I can mix into the coop waterer for them all to drink? I have about 30 chickens of all sorts of weights and two guinea fowl that use the same waterer.

Thanks,
DST
It's best to worm each bird individually using a syringe without a needle. That way you know they got properly wormed and no guesswork about it.
Putting wormers in water is not a very effective way to worm birds. You dont know if they drank it, or drank enough of it to be effective and sick wormy birds rarely drink.
Here's a link for you regarding worming a large flock of birds: See post #5:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-flock-has-roundworms.1582159/#post-26891365

It's best to worm each bird individually using a syringe without a needle. That way you know they got properly wormed and no guesswork about it.
Putting wormers in water is not a very effective way to worm birds. You dont know if they drank it, or drank enough of it to be effective and sick wormy birds rarely drink.
Here's a link for you regarding worming a large flock of birds: See post #5:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-flock-has-roundworms.1582159/#post-26891365
I'll check it out, thanks. If everyone else looks healthy, do you think it's safe to just deworm Silvara?
Can you get photos of the poop?
I'll do my best.

I'll check it out, thanks. If everyone else looks healthy, do you think it's safe to just deworm Silvara?

I'll do my best.
Wasn't able to find the same dropping pile. The worms were very thin (les than 1mm) and very long, and kind a super pale pink/beige almost white color.

What is the best med for deworming, in your opinion? I'm not going to deal with the whole flock, just my LO for now.

Back
Top Bottom