How to diagnose/determine whether it's bumblefoot

Corbdee

Duckies!
Aug 1, 2020
Middle of somewhere
Not an emergency, but it is a disease question.

I know how to cure bumblefoot for the most part because I've done this before, but what should I look for in my ducks' feet? They don't trust me enough to pick them up most of the time and when I do they flap their wings so its very hard to be able to see their feet. Anything I can look out for from an on the ground standpoint? I guess I've been assuming what I see is just part of their foot (a slight bump right at the heal, not their back toe). It seems like all my ducks have this, so I'm either worried or not worried at all. I can post pictures later today.

Not an emergency, but it is a disease question.

I know how to cure bumblefoot for the most part because I've done this before, but what should I look for in my ducks' feet? They don't trust me enough to pick them up most of the time and when I do they flap their wings so its very hard to be able to see their feet. Anything I can look out for from an on the ground standpoint? I guess I've been assuming what I see is just part of their foot (a slight bump right at the heal, not their back toe). It seems like all my ducks have this, so I'm either worried or not worried at all. I can post pictures later today.
Well I guess it depends how big the heel is, there is naturally a slight pad there which can be visible from behind to a degree.
I would look for limping, anything that could suggest discomfort when walking.

Ultimately though you'd have to catch them to know for sure.
How many do you have?
I only have two girlies, so I examine them frequently (weight, I check the condition of their feathers, skin, mouths, eyes, oil glands, tummies, legs and, mainly, feet) just so I can try and catch changes early. But obviously the more you have, the harder it would be to catch and examine them. Especially when the little rascals run away!
If you just have a few, it may be worth giving them all a once over to set your mind at ease!

Well I guess it depends how big the heel is, there is naturally a slight pad there which can be visible from behind to a degree.
I would look for limping, anything that could suggest discomfort when walking.

Ultimately though you'd have to catch them to know for sure.
How many do you have?
I only have two girlies, so I examine them frequently (weight, I check the condition of their feathers, skin, mouths, eyes, oil glands, tummies, legs and, mainly, feet) just so I can try and catch changes early. But obviously the more you have, the harder it would be to catch and examine them. Especially when the little rascals run away!
If you just have a few, it may be worth giving them all a once over to set your mind at ease!
Thank you. I have 5 males who I'm curious about, so its not bad. They're just squeamish but I think I will try to give them a once over to set my mind at ease.
there is naturally a slight pad there which can be visible from behind to a degree.
This is a relief to know at least a little bit, so thank you. Maybe im just being paranoid since they all have that. Some differ in size, though. Would that affect it? They are different Breeds

Thank you. I have 5 males who I'm curious about, so its not bad. They're just squeamish but I think I will try to give them a once over to set my mind at ease.

This is a relief to know at least a little bit, so thank you. Maybe im just being paranoid since they all have that. Some differ in size, though. Would that affect it? They are different Breeds
If some look larger, I'd definitely check them out-
I can see my girl's heels from behind but they're both equal in size, pretty small. If there's any big or very rounded bumps it's worth investigating
If you do find any bumbles, photos would be helpful, @Miss Lydia is pretty knowledgeable in treatments!

"Early stages of Contact Dermatitis/Foot Pad Dermatitis"

Sorry, could not figure out how to get it to give me a link, but above is the name of an article on something that looks like a bumblefoot but it is not. Treatment is similar except there is no plug, so you don't do the work to remove one. (Leave the skin to heal, no surgery)

Thank you all for the help! Much appreciated. I'll definitely try using a towel tomorrow, love that idea. And I might just start with an epsom salt bath one by one if it is a problem
For sure
My Sprightly got the very start of bumble a while ago, I caught it early and mainly just treated with Epsom soaks, and drawing salve.
It went away after a little while
Don't let it overwhelm you, just take it one step at a time

If you really do have 5 with it you can choose to treat one first and wait on the others. It gets overwhelming otherwise

You can choose the one who cooperates as the first patient to build the skill for the others.

Once you are more confident it becomes easier.

We are here for moral support ;) Feel free to vent, sometimes it helps to tell someone who understands.

A hood trick is get them in for the evening as it’s easier to catch them in a coop then a yard
Evening is better as they are more tired
Mornings they are way to hyper to get out and go
I have a way ti hold my birds and look at the feet without putting them on their backs
I have a few that hate to be touched let alone picked up but they seem to settle the way I do it
I’ll try to get a video of me doing it as well as how I give medicine
I no longer need a second person to help me

Back
Top Bottom