How to disinfect feeders?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicksgalore, Aug 19, 2008.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    We were just given several big feeders/waterers and I'm wondering what's the best way to disinfect them before we start using them?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    1/4 Clorox to 3/4 hot water. Scrub with brush inside and out and wipe down with a sponge. When my chickens all got sick, that is what the vet told me to do to disinfect my waterers and feeders. BTW, wear some old clothes and rubber gloves while doing this! [​IMG]

3. ridder

ridder Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    I agree the bleach /water method is the only way. One thing to consider though is after a bottle of bleach is opened it only holds its disinfectant properties for about a month. ( Niece is a molecular biologist) We have hatched out and raised about 450 ducks this year and have used bleach without any problems.Needless to say we use a gallon up in no time at all.

4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I use a couple of squirts of Eucaluyptus castille soap to about a gallon of water. I put about half a cup of white vinegar in it too. I use castille soap on a lot.
    That's just me though. [​IMG]

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I keep a spray bottle of bleach outside and spray my waterers before I fill them,just a few squirts,scrub with a scotch pad,rince,a few tablespoons of ACV and fill. Will

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Couple of drops of Tee Tree oil in water would also work.

How long since the feeders were used? Might not even be an issue unless they're full of fresh poop and such. if not just a good soap and water wash would probably be fine.

7. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I think it's been a while since some of them have been used; others maybe 2-3 weeks ago. Thanks for all the tips. I think I will do the clorox since that's something I have on hand. Just as soon as I can get to it...

8. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Good question! And now I have learned something else new! THANKS! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    washing new feeders and waterers that are a hand me down with bleach water is a must. I do that every time i switch users of the particular waterer or feeder..I also keep a bottle of dawn with bleach and a mr clean scrub brush (the one with the handle) out by my pump by the chicken house..Once a week i wash and scrub all waterers and feeders with dawn with bleach. I also do the duck kiddie pool. All of them get scrubbed out with plain water and scrub brush all the rest of the time and filled with fresh water or food every day.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thats what I do. I also clean the feeders and waterers before I use them for another batch of chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by