How to do a light in coop if at all

Good to know! Thanks that’s not too bad then. I have silkies that will raise anything so I can pop eggs under them.
Only one semi-broody hen here, and never when I want her to be. I got an incubator for Christmas, so I had to try it out. All 24 of the eggs I loaded were fertile - my rooster was doing his job. It's a good feeling to know that if I need to or want to I can raise more chicks myself and not have to rely on others to add to my flock.

Only one semi-broody hen here, and never when I want her to be. I got an incubator for Christmas, so I had to try it out. All 24 of the eggs I loaded were fertile - my rooster was doing his job. It's a good feeling to know that if I need to or want to I can raise more chicks myself and not have to rely on others to add to my flock.
Totally! None of my hens have ever been broody except the silkies. Which there’s always one at a time minimum it’s kind of annoying but I can have chicks whenever I want which is awesome.
They’ll raise anything too apparently, ducks etc..

You’ve gotten a lot of good info here. My only note would be to warn about fire risk. No one thinks they’re vulnerable to fire until it happens. Coops are dusty, dry places. Light attracts predators as well. The predator proof run shown with a light was a good example of a low risk scenario. A non predator proof run would put the light in the henhouse and that raises fire risk for many people. It also can get the chickens antsy to go outside before they should be out.
We had an electrician assist wiring the coop. The GFI outlet is attached to the covered run. That outlet also powers the water deicer. The red circles show where the outlet and conduit is located safe from water and inquisitive chickens. The lights are controlled by a smart plug. We use a couple strings of Christmas icicle lights. The windows face east, so it is my "theory" that we are simulating sunrise. We woke up to the egg song at 5:15am today. Of course daylight is currently increasing, so the timing could be a coincidence.

Attachments

• lights.JPG
    lights.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 8
We had an electrician assist wiring the coop. The GFI outlet is attached to the covered run. That outlet also powers the water deicer. The red circles show where the outlet and conduit is located safe from water and inquisitive chickens. The lights are controlled by a smart plug. We use a couple strings of Christmas icicle lights. The windows face east, so it is my "theory" that we are simulating sunrise. We woke up to the egg song at 5:15am today. Of course daylight is currently increasing, so the timing could be a coincidence.
That’s exactly what I’m going for too. I’m going to start next winter to see if it works for sure.

do you have the lights inside the coop or just outside to seem like sun rise?
I was going to put mine inside but we have an auto chicken door that won’t open until daylight so they would be stuck inside until it opens, but if I put it outside in the run I’m not sure if it will be evough to trigger them to wake up (plus the door Sensor claims it won’t trigger the door with artificial light) so that wouldn’t work either of it doesn’t let them out. but I’m going to test the door to see.

do you have the lights inside the coop or just outside to seem like sun rise?
I was going to put mine inside but we have an auto chicken door that won’t open until daylight so they would be stuck inside until it opens, but if I put it outside in the run I’m not sure if it will be evough to trigger them to wake up (plus the door Sensor claims it won’t trigger the door with artificial light) so that wouldn’t work either of it doesn’t let them out. but I’m going to test the door to see.
We do not have any lights in the coop. I had planned to add some, but didn't do it this year. Seems like in our case we don't need them.

I have put lights in my coop for years to keep the chickens laying. This winter, I decided to let this batch of chickens rest and molt, with no light added. They haven't really molted except one. They have slowed down the laying and rested which is good. But I wish they would have molted in the fall and one waited until the new year to blow her coat. I suggest adding the light after they molt, they need to be able to rest a little. I didn't let my first flock rest and kept them lit all winter and they all stopped laying at two years old. I think they were just worn out, my fault. I won't make that mistake again. You can also water glass the eggs in the summer as a way of preserving them for use in the winter

You’ve gotten a lot of good info here. My only note would be to warn about fire risk. No one thinks they’re vulnerable to fire until it happens. Coops are dusty, dry places. Light attracts predators as well. The predator proof run shown with a light was a good example of a low risk scenario. A non predator proof run would put the light in the henhouse and that raises fire risk for many people. It also can get the chickens antsy to go outside before they should be out.
What about LEDs?
Would they work?
Plenty of light no heat.

Back
Top Bottom