How to easily and inexpensively divide half a gable roof barn into a chicken coop.

hoosierhens101

Songster
5 Years
Jan 11, 2018
Central Indiana
We have a 10ft by 16ft gable roof storage barn. We are making the back 8ft by 10ft area into a coop. I have everything figured out thanks to all of the advice and information posted here except how to securely, easily and inexpensively screen in the back 8ft from the front 8ft. Do we screen all the way up to the roof? Do we screen under the rafters? In the pictures I am taking down the plywood loft to improve ventilation.

Attachments

• 20180311_190831.jpg
    20180311_190831.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180311_190807.jpg
    20180311_190807.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180311_190703.jpg
    20180311_190703.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 9
What are you going to store in the front 1/2 ?
Where are you located?
What ever it is it will be a pile of dust in a short month :)

If I had that area I would section off the area with plywood ( door too) and have more windows and vernt in the coop area.

That way the front 1/2 will not be covered in dust.

Or, in reality i would just make the whole thing a coop ;) once you have one you will want more !

Tigger's right. I've gone from a 4x8 with six hens to an under construction 16x24. And I've got to get it done if the weather will ever break as I bought 3 golden cuckoo marans yesterday to go with my juvie blue laced reds and my 6 cheepers lol. And I put in an order for 6 BCM. That little 4 x8 ain't gonna hold all them chickens.

Your best bet is ti use 1/2 inch woven wire from the roof to the floor. You can use 2x4's on all four sides of the divider and to frame in a door, make a walk in door using 1x3's and woven wire. I'd also use the woven wire for an apron on that side. Make sure your gaps are small, so predators can't get in.
So just take out the loft and wire all the way to the roof. I already bought alot of 1/2 woven wire . I have plans for lots of vents and creating a screen door in the front. thanks for the advice.

What are you going to store in the front 1/2 ?
Where are you located?
What ever it is it will be a pile of dust in a short month :)

If I had that area I would section off the area with plywood ( door too) and have more windows and vernt in the coop area.

That way the front 1/2 will not be covered in dust.

Or, in reality i would just make the whole thing a coop ;) once you have one you will want more !
We are just storing shovels and non electric tools, chicken feed, bedding in the front part. Also the back of the nesting boxes are protrude out a foot into the front. We are still growing. Going from our first 5 hens 2 years ago to 11 hens and a rooster. A walk in coop will be a huge improvement over the little starter coop that is falling apart after 2 years.

We are just storing shovels and non electric tools, chicken feed, bedding in the front part. Also the back of the nesting boxes are protrude out a foot into the front. We are still growing. Going from our first 5 hens 2 years ago to 11 hens and a rooster. A walk in coop will be a huge improvement over the little starter coop that is falling apart after 2 years.
You'll have a great time. Congratulations coop improvements are the best!

Back
Top Bottom