How to ensure ducklings are not afraid of me

majamarie

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2023
I hatched Pekin ducks that are 6 days old today. I try to handle them every day, however they seem a little fearful of me. When I approach the brooder they scurry to the far corner. If i present them with treats they are apprehensive at first but will eventually come eat out of my hand, but if i make any movements they run away again. I try to hold them as much as I can but they squirm so much and try to get away and I don’t want to scare them further. Is this normal behavior for their age? Should I continue to interact with and handle them despite their apprehension or will this add to their fear of people?

Ducklings will do this esp in a group. It takes time for them to warm up to you even if you hatched them. I have a routine with ducklings that gets them used to me and I usually put them in the room next to the living room so they hear the vacuum, tv etc daily. I'm not much for picking them up. Most don't really like it so I don't force it. But all ducks who live here must allow me to pick up and vet them. Because when your trying to care for a large Drake, safety is paramount

Back
Top Bottom