How to fatten up ducks for the winter?

Are they eating enough food?

My 7 go through about 8 cups of food a day.

What is the % of protein in the food you are giving? Maybe a flock raiser, duck formula or all flock would help as they are formulated for more than just chickens.
I feed a 2 gallon bucket twice a day with food for the flock of 20 ducks. I would think that they're getting enough but obviously not :(

Birds can shiver for other reasons then being cold. My parrot shivers all the time and he is not cold. How cold is it in your area, how about some duck house pictures?
It's in the high 40s and 50s during the day outside and into the 20s at night. I'll try to get a picture of the structure I have for them. We had to take apart the one I made for them in the spring because the hill needed to be regraded so they're in a temporary shed after being in a run for a few months.

try this (what i used when one of my boys got sick when he was a baby)

2 cups duck pellets
1/4 cup cracked corn
1/4 cup mealworms
1/2 cup veggies
add any powder vitamins they need to this mix and vita-hen (or sav-a-chick) into their water

this safely helps them gain wait but still get all the nutrients they need and also please bring them all in your house if possible
Thank you for the great food suggestion. Also I think my husband might die if I brought all 20 ducks in the house :lau

I'm thinking of adding another bucket of cracked corn to their usual 2 buckets of layer feed. I've blocked off as much rain and wind as I can while still giving them room to walk around. Do ducks eat cooked potatoes or rice? I'm trying to think of high fat or high carb foods that will help them bulk back up. The one in my bathroom looks much happier. She's been getting a warm water bath in the afternoon and cooked oatmeal and scrambled eggs 3 times a day in addition to her usual food. Are there supplements that would help with waterproofing? My mom suggested adding fish oil to their food but that's expensive to not know if it even helps.

I don't know why the smoke effected some of my ducks so much more than the others. The pekins are pretty much back to normal but my medium and smaller ducks were hit the hardest.

Sorry for the late night ramble.

I'm thinking of adding another bucket of cracked corn to their usual 2 buckets of layer feed. I've blocked off as much rain and wind as I can while still giving them room to walk around. Do ducks eat cooked potatoes or rice? I'm trying to think of high fat or high carb foods that will help them bulk back up. The one in my bathroom looks much happier. She's been getting a warm water bath in the afternoon and cooked oatmeal and scrambled eggs 3 times a day in addition to her usual food. Are there supplements that would help with waterproofing? My mom suggested adding fish oil to their food but that's expensive to not know if it even helps.

I don't know why the smoke effected some of my ducks so much more than the others. The pekins are pretty much back to normal but my medium and smaller ducks were hit the hardest.

Sorry for the late night ramble.
i give mine salmon dog treats (ones that have no added ingredients just dried salmon)

Back
Top Bottom