HOW TO FEED YOUR CHICKENS if there is no scratch or pellets?

I have the acreage needed to easily support about a dozen free-range chickens. In addition to locations that support more insects naturally, compost heaps can help a lot. This time of year we are even using lights at night to attract flying insects to pens holding chicks and juveniles. At the barn I have three largish tanks that produce more duckweed than 10 chickens can eat for almost 6 months of the year. I'm thinking about putting out pheromones for Japanese Beetles to bring them into range during the day.

I have the acreage needed to easily support about a dozen free-range chickens. In addition to locations that support more insects naturally, compost heaps can help a lot. This time of year we are even using lights at night to attract flying insects to pens holding chicks and juveniles. At the barn I have three largish tanks that produce more duckweed than 10 chickens can eat for almost 6 months of the year. I'm thinking about putting out pheromones for Japanese Beetles to bring them into range during the day.
Love the idea of growing duckweed in a trough....

I am not sure if anything actually eats Japanese beetles. I am sure the neighbors will love you for drawing them away from their land.

I am not sure if anything actually eats Japanese beetles. I am sure the neighbors will love you for drawing them away from their land.
My chickens happily eat Japanese beetles. I don't know how many they get naturally, but I collect the beetles for them every year.

The Japanese beetles tend to congregate on a few of my fruit trees and berry bushes. I take a container with some water and simply knock the beetles into the container. The beetles primary self defense is to drop down off the plant and then fly away, so I simply place the container under them and they often end up jumping into the container on their own. When I collect enough, I let the chickens play "bobbing for beetles".

My approach

More details in thread below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-to-pens-of-chickens.1256756/#post-20164846

Process below is a little more controlled.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...low-cost-bio-attractor.1258075/#post-20185033
20180706_162936.jpg

20180706_162949.jpg

20180706_163100.jpg

Does one of these look ok?

19 cups split peas
14 cups hard red wheat
12 cups of barley
8 cups of oats
1/2 cup of kelp
1/2 cup of diatomaceous earth food grade
Add ins
Fish meal