1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to find a Processor?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AimsChickies, Nov 7, 2008.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Just wondering how to go about finding a processor? I was thinking about raising a couple of meat birds in the spring.

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    ask local people with poultry..

check at where you buy your feed..

post in caigslist..

look in the yellow pages..::
    under processing meats..
    under poultry processors..

..jiminwisc....

3. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Try looking in the yellow pages under "meat" or under "butcher." We found listings under "meat," subcategory "meat processing." Also, since hunting is popular in our area, we were able to ask around and see which places are good places to take our meat birds to. If you have hunters in your area, chances are they will have some ideas on where they take their game to, and you can start there. Otherwise, try calling your local specialty meat processing and butcher shops--they may process live poultry, or they may know of some reputable places that do. Good luck!

4. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I found the one I'm going to use by looking for local free range chicken. I was planning to ask who they use, but their web site had a link to "Farm services" listed processing as one of them! Only half an hour away, too. Not only didn't they laugh when I said I take a hour a bird, they said I could participate for practice and learning. I was thrilled!!! How often do you get that chance?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by