How to find an injury that doesn't seem to bw there?

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
Last night we came across a total mystery. I went to check on the chickens and chicks and the first thing I see is an adult hen/rooster (seems to have bloomed really late? another mystery.) With a totally bloodied head. So I quickly got her/him inside and washed up with my mom. But there was no visible injury on her/his head. So we check the rest of the chickens body and saw nothing. I then went to investigate the coop to see if any other ducks and chickens were injured and found nothing but a lot of blood spatter arpund where the one inside was. Blood spatter was all over several of our other hens and on the back of our rooster whom was resting next to it at the time I found it. I fou.
Nd a few specks on his spur covers to, but not enough to suggest he caused it, only intervened and break it up like he's supposed to. My question is how can I find an injury on a chicken that seems not to have any???

Look more closely at the birds comb and wattles. It doesn't take much of an injury to generate a lot of bleeding.
Only thing there was a tiny speck that had already healed. Cleaned up all the blood off her and there was absolutely nothing????

Only thing there was a tiny speck that had already healed. Cleaned up all the blood off her and there was absolutely nothing????
The chicken in question has been acting more like an aggressive rooster and is picking fights with the other chickens more often so we surmised that she picked a fight with our current broody while going up to the roost.

I have had rather small comb or wattle injuries that happened on the roosts and it looks like a massacre happened in the coop. Even really small nicks or cuts can bleed a lot, and if they shake their head it flies everywhere. Once the bleeding stops you are often left with just a tiny black mark where it happened, they heal up really well usually. If you have gone over everyone well, and they are all acting normally, then I wouldn't worry too much. But if you have an aggressive bird causing it, they may need to be separated.

I have had rather small comb or wattle injuries that happened on the roosts and it looks like a massacre happened in the coop. Even really small nicks or cuts can bleed a lot, and if they shake their head it flies everywhere. Once the bleeding stops you are often left with just a tiny black mark where it happened, they heal up really well usually. If you have gone over everyone well, and they are all acting normally, then I wouldn't worry too much. But if you have an aggressive bird causing it, they may need to be separated.
We found two spots after looking again today. And i'm seriously thinking of investing in a broody coop now. Unfortunately though, it turns out the injured chicken is indeed aa late blooming male and we've already got way to many roos so he's gonna go to freezer camp.

Heres what I think happened. He went to roost for the night and walked by the broody hen's box and eggs. she, being a protective momma, attacked him (she does with me to and the others). Him, having gotten the new male hormones (we figured out he was a she that was becoming a he because of damaged ovaries) tried to get her back unsuccessfully and the broody got her a second time on the whattle (the first was on the back of the comb.) Big red (our main rooster) came in and intervened to put out the fight, she went to the roost and shook to create the mess we currently have. And I found her a little while later, anemic, and cleaned her up, ect. We confined her away from the others for the night.

Then today she looked just fine. But she wasn't laying eggs anymore so we decided to watch her in the cage in a shaded part of the yard with food and water for the day. As we watched her, we noticed how much aggression she was truly showing and had been sure that she was definitely a late blooming roo. But when we did her up, we saw egg build up, and tumor/cyst like material in her oviduct.

Back
Top Bottom