How to find out if my chickens have a disease???

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
I have had four chickens die in the past two months.. It just came out of no where. Three of them were younger birds. (around a year old) I don't know what to do or what steps to take. They had mites a few months ago and I have treated them for that. I am going to worm them starting tomorrow. I have noticed that a few days before I lose a chicken there is a liquid bright brown poop in the run. I don't know if that is a sign of something or not. They tend to lose a lot of weight a few days before death and slow down. The day of they will become quite lethargic and distance themselves from the other birds.
I have no idea what direction to take or what to do in the case. I am afraid that something is going around and I will lose another one. Could this be a case of worms?

Any insight will be appreciated.

I'm also new to chickens. But have had parrots etc.And can usually ask a vet to run a feces to find some of these problums.Need to find a vet that treats avery though ,not all do.

I would definitely have the droppings tested. I am battling cocci (same symptoms as you have) but only found out after I had a necropsy done on the two birds that died. I had lost another one a couple months ago but I'm not sure if it was related or not. I lost another one this morning and I have another one I am watching closely. It is effecting my weakest birds in the flock. My older ones seem to be ok.

So I would have to find a vet who works on birds to do the dropping test right? I hope that wouldn't be too hard. I am just afraid this will go on and on until I have lost all my birds.

Back
Top Bottom