How to Fix this....

thereverend

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 15, 2010
This is a picture of my girl who has had whatever this is for now 3 weeks.

I read on some website that 1 TSP of Garlic Powder or 1 Clove of Garlic would make this better
I have put 1 TSP garlic powder in their water now for 4 days and it does not seem to be working
i was wondering if anyone else has tried this cure for this and what has happened. Also if anyone knows
for sure what this is. I was told VENT GLEEK i belive it was. Please let me know and how to fix it without
a vet. Thank you

She is still laying eggs. Will this eventually kill her? she has had it for a while now.

I would try a systemic antibiotic. My first choice would be to get injectable Tylan from a farm store and either inject subcutaneously (under the loose skin at the back of the neck) or to squirt it down the throat. BE VERY CAREFUL to aim at the side ON YOUR LEFT if you squirt in the mouth, or it will go into the lungs, killing your bird.

The average bird needs .5 cc or mL on a syringe (also at the feed store) and if you can get it, a 22G needle or smaller is least painful. If you squirt in the mouth, you don't need the needle for anything but drawing the Tylan out of the bottle. An 18G is fine for that.

I'd do .5 mL a day for 5 day, then give 3 days off, and go again for 5 days if not better.

Be sure to offer either a probiotic supplement (such as baby parrot food mixed with water into a paste/pudding) or live cultured yogurt everyday until a week after the treatment.

Hope this helps!!

ETA:

I just noticed the gleet mentioned! I this s what she has, you may want to get some nystatin from a vet. This or metrondiazole, both of which you should be able to get from a vet. I have been able to state I had a chicken with a yeast infection to get the meds prescribed without a vet visit fee, and they can even write a script for you to fill at the regular pharmacy, so the med cost you $4 instead of the $25 the vet would want. There are some over-the-counter antifungals meant for women with bacterial vaginosis that I have heard could be used for chickens, but I don't have any personal experience with that.

Last edited:
Can't see the vent, so it's hard to tell if it's vent gleet (thrush) or not.

Does she have white patches or sores around her vent and/or mouth?
Is her crop emptying properly?
Is there a nasty, sour smell from the mouth or vent area?
Have you checked the food source to make sure they have not gotten ahold of any soured food?

If you can get a good pic of her vent (tough, I know), it might help.

If it is indeed vent gleet, you could first try apple cider vinegar in the drinking water, 2-4 T. per gallon. I also have some Nystatin dosage info if you have any on hand or can get it from a vet.

Back
Top Bottom