How to free range chickens?

I would keep 8-10 chickens in a coop that size. 6 x 6 = 36 sqft. 36/4 = 9. 4 sqft is the normal recommendation, so 9 would be good according to the recommendation. Bigger is better.
Since I didn't build a run for my chickens, maybe I should keep no more than five chickens just in case they need to stay in the coop because it is raining?

I want my standard sized chickens (when they are old enough to be put outdoors) have free range of my backyard. My backyard fence is approximately 6 feet tall and my backyard is roughly 25 feet x 25 feet.

1) How likely are my chickens able to jump over my 6 foot fence?

2) Is wing clipping (one or both wings) necessary to keep them from jumping over the 6 foot fence?

3) What is the training process for having chickens return back to their coop? When my chickens are fully feathered and old enough, do I keep them locked up in their coop for a week and after a week, I leave the door open and they will instinctively know to return back inside before sunset? And will they always know to return back to their coop?

4) What happens when it rains? Do I still open the door for my coop in the mornings so they can come out? Or will they know not to come out because its soaking wet?

5) What determines how many chickens I can keep in my coop and backyard? My coop is 6x6x6ft and the backyard is 25 x 25ft.
Mine dont jump over my fence that high and I use a bag of mealworms I shake it and whistle and they come running so I throw a hand full in and they lock up now this took me a month or so. But leave them in there coop for a week or two so thay know that's there home. Also I open the coop when it rains and they can choose which they prefer but mine are always out looking for worms

Can you add on to your coop?
Are you going to post pictures of it?
CFFAD44E-8D05-425F-9A9E-350B7C5C7661.jpeg

Its almost complete. I may need to extend the roof on the front side so when it rains, water wont go inside and dampen the bedding. The coop is completely lined top to bottom with hardware cloth so no rodents can enter.

I have some orchid plants that I do not want the chickens to nibble on. What type of mesh screening would prevent them from pecking on it, but will allow sun to pass through? Should I use galvanized hardware cloth, plastic poultry netting, or thin nylon garden netting?

I have some orchid plants that I do not want the chickens to nibble on. What type of mesh screening would prevent them from pecking on it, but will allow sun to pass through? Should I use galvanized hardware cloth, plastic poultry netting, or thin nylon garden netting?
Hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom