How to get a DNA sequence for a chicken

I think it would be useful to have a DNA genetic sequence to know the genetics my chicken possesses

• Yes - would really like to know the scientific facts

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Maybe - It would depend on the price

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No - not interested

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have two interests in DNA testing, and I don't know if either is possible so I am here to learn.

1) Can you test a black bird to see if it is split for lavender?

2) Can you test a rooster to see if he carries the brown egg gene?
From what others have said on other thread I think the answer is NO. It was explained that the reason it cannot be tested is because there are un-documented brown genes. Therefore, my question is: can we test for the known brown genes? The reason I ask is because I want to test to see if my Cream Legbar(s) roosters are throwing tinted green eggs.
The amount I know about genetics can fill a thimble - but there is definitely a gene called lav - for lavender - so seems to me that that could be identified. Tadkerson, Henk69 and others on BYC have enormous expertise in genetics. - You may even check lavender on BYC and find a discussion about the gene and how to find it.

For egg color, there is a set of genes that produce O for blue eggs and o for white eggs--- and those are the shell colors. Brown comes from a secretion put on the egg as it travels in the ovaduct and I haven't heard a discussion of IF the brown bloom that coats the egg is tracked to certain genes. There is a fantastic article with a lot of details about the eggs - and if I find it I will come back and put in a link.........

The amount I know about genetics can fill a thimble - but there is definitely a gene called lav - for lavender - so seems to me that that could be identified. Tadkerson, Henk69 and others on BYC have enormous expertise in genetics. - You may even check lavender on BYC and find a discussion about the gene and how to find it.

For egg color, there is a set of genes that produce O for blue eggs and o for white eggs--- and those are the shell colors. Brown comes from a secretion put on the egg as it travels in the ovaduct and I haven't heard a discussion of IF the brown bloom that coats the egg is tracked to certain genes. There is a fantastic article with a lot of details about the eggs - and if I find it I will come back and put in a link.........
thank you

I am interested in crossing the U of A Blue (good production blue egg layer) with a Cream Leghorn to make it auto-sexing. But I understand there is a question whither the CL rooster is OO or Oo. Just to be clear, I make no claim to know what I am talking about. But trying to learn.

From what I know as a biologist, DNA sequencing would not be a cost effective way to determine a chickens gene make-up for a couple of traits. Generally I guess the cost would be very expensive if you could even find some place to do it. It is fairly labor and equipment intensive. Most of the sequencing that has been done was part of scientific/university based research for a very specific research focus.If one were seriously looking, I'd go over to the coop website and ask around if anyone knows of a lab/university that would do it.

I'd think an equally reliable method would be to set up your own test matings utilizing the specific dominant and recessives of the genes you're concerned over. While test matings require time and lots of hatches its ,ore realistic for outside of the scientific community.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom