How to get a newly laying hen to lay in the coop and not in the run?

littleandlewis

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
We have 6 hens..... 2 have been laying for awhile like clockwork in the nest boxes. One hen just started a few days ago but she is laying underneath the coop in the outside run area. How does one " break" her of this habit and get her to lay inside?

Thanks

It is not so much about "breaking" a bad habit but more about starting out right, forming good habits.

When a group of pullets enter point of lay, I keep them in the coop. Their pen is large, so it isn't a hardship. I want to watch and see that each pullet "masters" going into the laying box. It only takes a few weeks and they catch on fast. Young pullets sometimes need the laying box to be quite close to the ground, as well. They are also helped by putting some fake eggs or a golf ball or two in the laying box. They get the idea quickly.

I'll let them out in the evening for awhile, even during "boot camp" because most will have laid before 3 pm, if they are going to that day. Once I feel confident that everyone has the laying in the nesting box mastered, they are freed much earlier in the day, but I still watch to see if they go back into the coop to lay. Generally, once they have it down, the answer is yes.

From about 16 weeks on, I kept 2 golf balls in the nesting boxes. I always let mine out of the coop everyday to be in the run, untill Thursday when something got in there and killed a male duck and one of the silkie babies. When my EE's started to lay they went to the next box and no where else. The only eggs I ever have to pick up are the duck eggs. My 3 year old hens also probably helped them because they have always laid there ever since I got them. Good Luck.

I have the same problem. Coop with attached, enclosed run and at least 7 other chickens laying, but one stubborn bantam Cochin sees fit to lay in the run or on the coop floor. If only SHE were the one who went broody rather than the other one!

Back
Top Bottom