How to get baby chicks to love you back?

I've read so many great articles on BYC, this is one of my favorites.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ks-outdoors.71995/?page=10#ams-comment-520391
It really made me think about how to raise chicks from day 1 and I changed up my indoor practices. Also the MHP thread..... When I think back to my first flock of 20years ago, some of them were downright mean. Guess that's why my kids named them "Crazy," and "Weirdo." But now, they love me to much! I have one now that is SUCH a puppy, she is so needy and I feel bad whenever I leave her... What is your setup?

I've read so many great articles on BYC, this is one of my favorites.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ks-outdoors.71995/?page=10#ams-comment-520391
It really made me think about how to raise chicks from day 1 and I changed up my indoor practices. Also the MHP thread..... When I think back to my first flock of 20years ago, some of them were downright mean. Guess that's why my kids named them "Crazy," and "Weirdo." But now, they love me to much! I have one now that is SUCH a puppy, she is so needy and I feel bad whenever I leave her... What is your setup?
Thank you! I have an indoor brooding box where chicks are inside and I have 2 pullets outside in coop/run. I plan to start introducing them with barriers after week one and slowly but consistently let them get to know one another with safety in mind.

I have 2 day old chicks. They’re adorable and I’d love to raise loving and very friendly chicks. How do you get chicks to love you back and be friendly. Any advice?
To some extent it depends on the breed of chickens you have. Some breeds are just naturally more alert, better at avoiding predators and protecting themselves. This means they won't be as friendly. They will see YOU as a big, scary predator! Of all the breeds I've had, Leghorns fit in this category. From Day One, they were quick to run away, to hide. This was disappointing to me. Especially since the Easter Eggers I got at the same time always came running when they saw or heard me, to get the mealworms or other treats I always brought. My chickens are not pets, I don't pick them up or snuggle with them, but I do like them to come when I call. The Leghorns never did, they would shriek and fly away till the end of their days. But many breeds are calmer and more trusting. I never lost a Leghorn to a predator - but the EE were another matter. Because they were not as alert and careful, I did lose quite a few. So there are trade-offs.

Back
Top Bottom