How to get baby quails to eat?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jaybeeson18, Sep 25, 2014.

1. jaybeeson18

jaybeeson18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Worcestershire
    My quails have been hatched between 5-24 hours. I have 5 in total. I had to assist most of them out the incubator due to low or high humidity or temperature. I am new to this as you can tell. Well they have only just started getting on there feet apart from one who was walking as soon as he hatched. I have game them sugar water on a cotton bud I hope they have drunk but now I'm thinking they need food some of the quails are not interested with the chick crumb I out by them. How can I get them to eat?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm not a quail expert but it may be too soon. For hatchlings, I put them on paper towels for the first few days and sprinkle the crumbles on them. They tend to peck at whatever is at their feet. Hopefully a quail person will chime in.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    do sprinkle some food on the floor of the brooder and also if you tap the water and the food dish making noise the chicks will come to see what is up and learn it is the water and food. it helps to get them used to your hand being in the enclosure with them as well. good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by