How to get chicks (4weeks) to go into the coop?

4 weeks might be a little earlier than some hens ween, but many hens do ween that early. If these chicks have been in the run with the adult birds, the adult birds will not harm them. Leaving a broody hen and her chicks with the flock is the way many manage their flocks. A little peck here and there is normal from the other adult birds to give the chicks. The chicks need to be shown the coop is home. Guide them in to the coop. (catch after dark in necessary) Make sure they have places to hide from the adults. Locking them in for a day or two could help. It is up to you if you want to keep the older birds in or out while the young get use to the coop.

A few from the broody hatchalong weaned their chicks by 4 weeks. I guess the weather is warm...
a little bit off topic, but I took both my brooder chicks off heat at 2 weeks when the weather was 70s at night. They thrived 🤔

If you are having trouble catching the chicks, or even a grown bird, I found that using a short handle fishing net does the trick. It is large enough to cover and secure the bird without hurting it, making it easy to pick it up and move. Hope this is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom