How to get chicks to drink water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sgsf, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Whats the best way to get the chicks to drink water? I have 7 new chicks from my broody chicken, and she is TOO LAZY to take them out and teach them how to eat and drink. So I need to teach them before they die. Any good ways on doing so?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Set up a chick waterer near mom and babies. I would also do a chick feeder as well. Keep it close by and they will go find it on their own, as long as mom is nearby. Does she still have eggs? She should get up if her eggs are finished hatching.

3. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    dip their beaks in the waterer yourself so they know how to drink and they should be good after that. Good luck.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've never had to teach chicks how to drink water....I just make it available to them and they drink. Are you providing a waterer that is sized to their needs and have it placed where they can easily access it? If so, I can't imagine what the problem could be.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If it's less than 72 hours since they hatched, definitely don't worry about it, they don't need to eat or drink in that time, they live off the yolk for a while. Usually my broodies sit on them for a day or a day and a half then get up. That way she can keep setting a while longer, to hatch a few more of her eggs.

6. chicksrcool

chicksrcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    Hmm well it might be different for me because I bought my chicks at the feed store...they should instinctively be ready to eat and drink right away without much assistance. As long as you have the chick starter and a proper waterer for their size it should work.

7. CestBonAmi

CestBonAmi New Egg

Oct 19, 2010
    West Tennessee
    I read somewhere about gently "dunking" their little beaks into the water the first time - to teach them how to get the water.

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I just hatched ot 22 2 weeks ago they just went for the water didnt have to show them. Put some marbles or aquarium beads in it if you are using a fount waterer so the dont fall in and drown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by