How to get chicks to go in coop at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tazcat70, Oct 16, 2007.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Ok I have 7 chicks 4 bantams that are 6-7 weeks and 3 standards that are 3 weeks. I put them in their coop with run. The first night I shooed them in early because a storm was coming. Last night I went out after dark and they were in a puppy pile sleeoping and had to pick them up and put them in their coop to close it up. Anyway to get them to go inside on their own?

Tonya

2. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I started by putting treats in there during the day, so they got used to going in and out, and then at night I gave them a different treat, and they just started going in at dark.

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Try feeding them inside the coop, that helps. Usually if you're consistent on putting them away it doesn't take long before they do it on their own.

Julie [​IMG]

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    If its dark in your yard, I use a night light. You can get one of those battery operated push ones meant for your walk.

5. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Hey...I would go out right before dark and that is when I fed my babies....calling them all the way back to the coop...ya know chick chick chick. Pretty soon they were chasing after me. It won't take long for them figure it out.
    Tink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by