How to get chicks to not be afraid

Mike1J

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2020
I was going to have the title of the thread how to get chicks to like us but figured that might get us off to the wrong start. I have 13 week old black french marans that are very very skittish. My son or I walk in or reach into feed them and they freak out. Any suggestions? We also have 2 2.5 month old chicks that are more relaxed but still afraid of us. They are in a small coop they come running out for food or drink after the coop door is shut, but when we open they run for the coop.

Another question. I have read to not chase the chicks. Question is how do you get them if you don't? My bigger brooder where the younger ones will go in a few weeks has a lid and when i would open it up to feed or change water there were chicks that would fly the coop (sorry). I would end up having to chase them to get them back in. Maybe this chasing is what has the older two skittish. Suggestions please

Chickens being very tasty to....well...every predator out there are naturally skittish.

Once they are laying they calm down a lot.

Mine follow me around the yard and come running TO the run door when I go out.

Be patient. Sit quietly near them. Don't reach for them but let them come to explore you. Bring small amounts of treats to hold in your hand loosely where they can see the treat. Don't move at all and eventually they will be brave enough to come get the treats.

Chasing chickens I think could affect a chicken, but again I don't think if would be that big of a deal either unless you are doing it all the time. I have chased mine before and they still eat out of my hand, but that comes with age I think. I have a very flighty White Leghorn right now, my other WLH run to me without fear and jump up to get things out of my hands hopeful its food. My older hens are 2 years, my younger one is 4 months old. Chickens are very much monkey see, monkey do animals. If everyone is afraid then everyone must be right. I offer treats (bits of bread, melon, berries, etc) and have taught my birds to come when I whistle. It helps them associate the whistle and myself with food and food is good lol. The more you are around them the more they see you and have less to fear, they can investigate you, and may peck you or your shoes to figure you out. You are new and scary right now. It will take time.

Food.
Don’t hover above them. Closer to the ground the better.
Food.
Time

Show them you aren’t a threat. This takes hours a day for weeks sometimes. Eventually they will come near, and not run when you toss a treat at them. Pretty soon one will get brave and snag it from you vs fight everyone else for it. It builds quickly after that.
You chase a prey animal, they will be afraid of you. You can herd them into a funnel, and gently pick them up to return them where they came from. Follow it immediately with something fun like a favorite treat.
My broody has had her chicks for a week. I come out and am able to pick each up and look. Not grab them, they stand on my palm for 3-5 seconds. Every time I approach, I have delicious treats. The run around my feet and, as far as I can tell, don’t take me as a threat. I check butts just in case, trickle treats to broody, and hopefully this batch of broody reared isn’t as skittish as last. Last time the broody wouldn’t approach for treats and always thought I was a threat. Now, before going broody ten days ago, she hops on my knee and eats from my hand.

As tame as all my girls are.... I still can’t bend down and randomly pick one up (unless she’s squatting for me)

Good Luck

Anecdotal but examples of behavior I have observed....

I go out and the chickens come running. Others (especially those who don't live here) go in the back yard all hens dive for the coop.

My black sex link caught or stole a mouse from another hen. They chased her around the yard. She ran TO me where I was planting veggies.....oh goodie...:sick
She used me as a shield so she could eat it. Every time one tried to snatch it she moved to the other side of me but did not run away.

I get out a shovel and 90% come to "help" dig. Even while I am shoveling dirt they stay. Yes looking for tasties I might dig up but that shovel is moving and yet they stay.

Random picking up of a hen.....they don't tolerate that at all. No reaching toward them unless that hand has a valuable treat.

But working them off their roost hasn’t had an effect on their opinion of me. I pick them up, do what’s needed, set them back where I found them, and. offer a piece of cheap hotdog for their troubles.

Anecdotal but examples of behavior I have observed....

I go out and the chickens come running. Others (especially those who don't live here) go in the back yard all hens dive for the coop.

My black sex link caught or stole a mouse from another hen. They chased her around the yard. She ran TO me where I was planting veggies.....oh goodie...:sick
She used me as a shield so she could eat it. Every time one tried to snatch it she moved to the other side of me but did not run away.

I get out a shovel and 90% come to "help" dig. Even while I am shoveling dirt they stay. Yes looking for tasties I might dig up but that shovel is moving and yet they stay.

Random picking up of a hen.....they don't tolerate that at all. No reaching toward them unless that hand has a valuable treat.
Is the pile you intend to backfill the hole flat as a pancake and thoroughly inspected too??? Not a bug or worm to be found

Is the pile you intend to backfill the hole flat as a pancake and thoroughly inspected too??? Not a bug or worm to be found

🤨 Oddly yes. I keep looking for the dirt I dug out......I am certain they have full pockets and are giggling at messing with the silly human.

That reminds me I need to refill a garden box or two.....

I have raised quite a few breeds of chickens using the techniques outlined on this thread to make them friendly and they are great suggestions. I believe that the personality and the breed of the bird has a lot to do with how friendly they are with humans. All of our girls and Roos have had the same treatment, yet our Black French Maran hen is still a bit flighty and shy compared to our other hens. Many of them will eat out of our hands, but she stays a good distance away. She just started warming up more the last month or so, she is about 8 months old. None allow me to pick them up, I can sneak a pet with the RIR but they aren’t super stoked about that. I am not sure if all Marans are this way but our Blue Marans aren’t the most friendly either although a little less flighty.

What everyone else said. I think the first step is to have them associate your hands with something positive. Bring them their favorite treats, and just sit with them (or squat) while they eat. when they're used to your presence, feed them treats from you hands and see if they will take it. When I feed my chickens their favorite treat, they become so excited, they couldn't care less if they were being picked up by a predator. I used the chance to pet all of them, running my hand over their backs and crops.

I raised guinea keets with chicks (The wisdom of this decision is debatable), and both will tolerate me picking them up without trauma - they usually go back to doing whatever they were doing before I picked them up. Although I raised my birds from chicks, they were already past the imprinting age, and I had to put in effort to make them like my hands, as opposed to running away.

Whenever I need to pick up a bird, I would crouch down with them while they foraged, and then nonchalantly clasp one with both hands when they're distracted. Initially they would cluck in alarm, and I will wait until they realize it's just me and not some scary predator before picking them up. I almost never chase my birds... It's tiring and takes longer than bribing them with a treat or just sitting around them and waiting patiently for them to come to me.

Getting your birds to like you will be a process, and you will need to be very patient. I think as long as you work on nurturing a positive association with your presence (giving treats, just sitting there with them), they will warm up to you!

Back
Top Bottom