How to get ducks to imprint if large group?

Romans1089

Chirping
May 3, 2023
Florida
Hey y'all, so I got some ducklings, probally more than I should have but I had to. They are about a week old now. I really want at least a few to imprint on me, I think that would be so cool. However there are 12 of them. Is imprinting still possible? If so, how?

John 3:16, Kenny

Hey y'all, so I got some ducklings, probally more than I should have but I had to. They are about a week old now. I really want at least a few to imprint on me, I think that would be so cool. However there are 12 of them. Is imprinting still possible? If so, how?

Imprinting takes place the first 24-48 hrs. It is on a species not a person. If they were hatched by a person rather than a momma duck, they are already imprinted on humans. Now you can teach them to trust you. The best way to do that is spend time with them. I used to set up a screen tent, put the ducklings in it, and then sit in it with them while I read a book. They will snuggle up close and try to figure out why your clothes isn’t feathers.

Also, try never to grab them quickly from above. That is how a predator would snatch them. Instead scoop them up.

When you are with them, bring treats and hand feed them. Lettuce, thawed frozen peas, and mealworms are usual favorites. Make sure they have chick grit available and their crumble is still their main food.

I have ducks which I received as adults who quack and run to me now. It just takes time and patience.

Imprinting takes place the first 24-48 hrs. It is on a species not a person. If they were hatched by a person rather than a momma duck, they are already imprinted on humans. Now you can teach them to trust you. The best way to do that is spend time with them. I used to set up a screen tent, put the ducklings in it, and then sit in it with them while I read a book. They will snuggle up close and try to figure out why your clothes isn’t feathers.

Also, try never to grab them quickly from above. That is how a predator would snatch them. Instead scoop them up.

When you are with them, bring treats and hand feed them. Lettuce, thawed frozen peas, and mealworms are usual favorites. Make sure they have chick grit available and their crumble is still their main food.

I have ducks which I received as adults who quack and run to me now. It just takes time and patience.
I'd love that! I try to sit with them in their pen, not on the bedding lol. But they run away, and sometimes they go to me. So even if they don't follow me 24/7 they'll grow up to go to me if I have treats?

The question is, why do you want them to imprint on you?
If they end up being males, they will likely become aggressive with you during mating season. When an animal imprints on a human, it believes that person is their species, and that you are competition, a potential mate, and so forth.
It complicates things. And it isn't something I'd reccomend doing intentionally

Being a week old, they're past the age of imprinting, if they've already imprinted on eachother. As this happens very soon after hatch. You can still tame them though, spend time with them, hand feed, try to stay at their level, and don't reach down for them or hover over them etc unless you have to. You can achieve a good relationship with your birds without having them imprint on you, just takes time and patience.

I'd love that! I try to sit with them in their pen, not on the bedding lol. But they run away, and sometimes they go to me. So even if they don't follow me 24/7 they'll grow up to go to me if I have treats?
They're somewhat unpredictable, it may depend on their individual personalities. But if you spend lots of time with them, there's a good chance some will bond with you and come to you for treats

The question is, why do you want them to imprint on you?
If they end up being males, they will likely become aggressive with you during mating season. When an animal imprints on a human, it believes that person is their species, and that you are competition, a potential mate, and so forth.
It complicates things. And it isn't something I'd reccomend doing intentionally

Being a week old, they're past the age of imprinting, if they've already imprinted on eachother. As this happens very soon after hatch. You can still tame them though, spend time with them, hand feed, try to stay at their level, and don't reach down for them or hover over them etc unless you have to. You can achieve a good relationship with your birds without having them imprint on you, just takes time and patience.
Wise words. I didn't know the males would do that. Defintely does take patience.

Back
Top Bottom