How to get free range birds in coop

Pics
Did you confine them to the coop when you first got them?

They need to be "homed" to the coop which means confining them for a week or so inside the coop.

They should go back in on their own as dusk approaches. If you're trying before it gets dark they are likely to resist.

Last edited:
I think mine must read the paper - they know exactly what time official sunset is, and "go to bed" a few minutes before that. If I go out prematurely to lock them up, it takes a lot more effort on my part.

Where do yours try to roost, if they're not wanting to go to the coop?

Also, do you have an attached, predator-proof pen? If I'm not going to be around at the right time in the evening, I'll lure mine into their pen by tossing in some scratch and then lock down everything but the pop door (which opens into the pen). They'll go to roost when they're ready, and I can do any other little chores when I return.

I guess I'm lucky mine gladly trade their freedom for grapes. Toss a few into a coop, and even the most reluctant hen jumps right in.

Of course, there is a down side. They know I have grapes in the house, and often I have to wade through a flock of hungry chickens, positioned at the back door, waiting for their bribes.

I guess I'm lucky mine gladly trade their freedom for grapes. Toss a few into a coop, and even the most reluctant hen jumps right in.

Of course, there is a down side. They know I have grapes in the house, and often I have to wade through a flock of hungry chickens, positioned at the back door, waiting for their bribes.
I know the feeling!

So...

I have a flock that free ranges (see my signature, below). I've hit upon a management method that works for me, and seems to be unique among BYC posters. I can't find a single study that provides the illusion of "science" behind what I've stumbled into.

In short, this is an anecdote, and as advice, is worth not more, and perhaps less, than you paid for it.

I feed my birds once a day. At night. In the run. This encourages everyone to come to the run, and thus the coop, at night for a "free feeding". Which allows me to observe behaviors, look for signs of injury, get a head count, and make certain everyone goes to bed at night with a full crop. Seasonally, I find feed savings between 20-35% against expected consumption.

It also means that the birds know they aren't getting fed again till next sunset - so when I open the gates between 6 and 7am, they are awful eager to go bug hunting and grass/grain nibbling in my biodiverse polyculture (acres of weeds).

the "wade" is real. I get the same. Its like a moving floor of feathers around my feet, except when one of the goats wants to rub against me for an animal cracker. (my wife's fault -- she offers animal crackers at the gate, which the goats are destroying by standing on so they can stick their heads over the top...)

I kept my original flock in the coop for two weeks before letting them out into the run, this way they know where home is. After that, they would go into the coop at dusk. I then got a rooster, and he tells the flock when bedtime is. Every new clutch I add to the current flock, doesn’t need to be “homed” because the flock teaches them what to do.

Whenever I go outside they tend to “flock” to me (pun intended) or I’ll call out “here chick chick chick chick chick” and they’ll usually come over. Some times I have to herd them. However lately I’ve been keeping them (I only have 4) in their tractor instead of ranging bc they’ve decided they want to keep flying over the fence into the front yard or to the side utility maintenance area. It would be a huge deal except my neighbor across the street (with like 60ish chickens) let’s some of his roam and several have been coming and hanging out in my front yard (which I totally don’t mind but want to keep separate)

Back
Top Bottom