how to get girls in the brood?

larsalan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
United States
So, I have a tiny little flock. 3 young hens and 1 roo that's 2 years old. Are these young hens likely to sit on any eggs? What can I do to help get some chicks?

They have 2 milk crates to lay eggs in and they had been using them both. But now the 3 girls all lay eggs in just 1 of the nests. What can I expect of these girls? They're not even a year old yet. Will they be able to hatch any eggs?

I have a similar question. I have several girls of varying varieties, and one rooster. I can tell their eggs apart by breed (although they like to use two nest boxes instead of having their own). My girls are about 1 year old and all great layers. Was going to buy a few more chicks, but am wondering if it's possible to let one or several brood just to see? I have Americanas, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and a Buff Oprington. I have read that the Barred and the Reds are not great broodies. But maybe the buff and the americanas will? Just not sure how to proceed.... Let me know if you find anything out.

To get my girls broody I put golfballs in their nests. They will think its a nest and sit on the golfballs. Then you can put eggs under them. It doesn't always help. Buffs are usually good brooders.

I have tried the golf ball deal, not a lot of luck. It has a great deal to do with the day length. And hormones,.... and prayers (I think?)

But this is the time of year that they begin to get the notion, although my second one went broody the 3rd of July, and her sisiter (both buffs) went the very next day, they raised the chicks together. It was great.

However, just in case the Broody Gods are listening, I have a bowl of eggs on my kitchen counter (I write the date on them with a pencil), then every few days, I put more fresh eggs in bowl, and the rest in the fridge. One can keep eggs on the counter for a couple of weeks with out them growing into chicks and with out them going bad. But eggs in the fridge, may not have a high hatch rate. So if one of my girls goes, I will be ready.

Eggs do not begin to turn into chicks until they have been sat on for about 24 hours.

A good broody hen is worth her salt, and once you raise chicks this way, you won't want to go back, it is all the fun and none of the work.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Assuming hens are not of a non-setting breed, generally by eight months of age they will be able to set. If too many laying eggs in one nest, isolate hens desired to go broody and allow relations with rooster every third day or so to keep fertility of eggs produced up. Reduced stress will promote such hens to to go broody once clutch size gets up. Part of going broody is contacting breast with mutiple eggs and sometimes time is required for hormonal levels that induce broodiness to respond. Instead of using a single golf ball, use a dozen or so low quality eggs in nest, when hen goes broody on those, swap them out for eggs you want to hatch.

Last edited:
Mrs. K Amen to that...... I am on my 4 broody hen since Dec........... I made the mistake of buying a few chicks..... Lets just say I won't do that again........... Although it is very tempting because they are sooo cute.............
droolin.gif
It is definitely alot easier with a broody

I have tried the golf ball deal, not a lot of luck. It has a great deal to do with the day length. And hormones,.... and prayers (I think?)

But this is the time of year that they begin to get the notion, although my second one went broody the 3rd of July, and her sisiter (both buffs) went the very next day, they raised the chicks together. It was great.

However, just in case the Broody Gods are listening, I have a bowl of eggs on my kitchen counter (I write the date on them with a pencil), then every few days, I put more fresh eggs in bowl, and the rest in the fridge. One can keep eggs on the counter for a couple of weeks with out them growing into chicks and with out them going bad. But eggs in the fridge, may not have a high hatch rate. So if one of my girls goes, I will be ready.

Eggs do not begin to turn into chicks until they have been sat on for about 24 hours.

A good broody hen is worth her salt, and once you raise chicks this way, you won't want to go back, it is all the fun and none of the work.

Good luck.

welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
It is lots of fun have broody hen. If you end up like I did you can have a lot more chickens then expected.....
ep.gif
.... I started with 14 hens 1 rooster in Dec and now I'm at 44 chickens with just 3 hatches....With another broody that started on Tuesday.... **********WARNING********* it is very addicting.
So, I have a tiny little flock. 3 young hens and 1 roo that's 2 years old. Are these young hens likely to sit on any eggs? What can I do to help get some chicks?

They have 2 milk crates to lay eggs in and they had been using them both. But now the 3 girls all lay eggs in just 1 of the nests. What can I expect of these girls? They're not even a year old yet. Will they be able to hatch any eggs?

I do use fake eggs in the nests not to get them broody but because they fight over one nest so I put the eggs in the others so they will use the other boxes.....silly girls....... I have 9 nesting boxes.

I have a similar question. I have several girls of varying varieties, and one rooster. I can tell their eggs apart by breed (although they like to use two nest boxes instead of having their own). My girls are about 1 year old and all great layers. Was going to buy a few more chicks, but am wondering if it's possible to let one or several brood just to see? I have Americanas, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and a Buff Oprington. I have read that the Barred and the Reds are not great broodies. But maybe the buff and the americanas will? Just not sure how to proceed.... Let me know if you find anything out.

I have 3 of my hens go broody...... 1st one Red Rock (RIRxBR cross), 2nd BO, 3rd EE, and now my Red Rock again She just hatched out babies Dec 29th and wanted to be a mama again. She has been sitting for a week now. Hope that helps.

What breed of hens do you have? Certain chickens are more likely to go broody then others. A leghorn for example will rarely, if ever, raise a clutch on her own. Buff orpingtons, silkies and cochins make great mothers.

Back
Top Bottom