how to get grass to grow in the run?

When building the henhouse, then run I discussed w my dh about laying sod. They love to eat grass and I think they need that. So as soon as the run was wired in, I went and bought 4 rolls, threw compost down and rolled it out on top of it. Watered it well, just for about 2 days then brought the hens out. They have dirt and grass now. It's been a couple of weeks and every night I water it, till it's established. Which I'm sure it is as it looks like it's growing well, the edges may dry out a bit, but I don't care. I didn't want to put seed for fear of the girls eating it, ( i have heard some can be coated) didnt want them getting sick or dying. And it takes forever to grow.I rake up the lil dead strands once a week.
big_smile.png

I used to plant catnip in plant pots and wrap in chicken wire to keep them from reaching the main plant. You could put a few potted plants like that around maybe. Thats what I am going to try with my new pen, I missed a few responses, has anyone else tried this with any success and whats best to plant??

Back
Top Bottom