HOW TO GET MY DUCKS TO LIKE ME?????

but i have had them for 10 years and they still hate me what do i do i spend so much time with them

I think the REALLY friendly ducks are the ones that are raised one on one with a human inside and are constantly given human interacation. I, personaly, don't have the time, patience or desire to do this. My ducks come for food/treats. If need be, it doesn't take much to catch 1 or 2 but more than that, they figure out what I've got in mind.
I think this is the key right here. My first experience with waterfowl was with a goose egg that I found lying in the dirt near my parents' farm pond. I hatched him in a makeshift incubator all by himself. He was my very best friend for the first 3 months of his life. He'd climb right up my legs and chest and snuggle himself up under my chin when he was way too big to do so comfortably. He'd stand at the doors to the house and honk loudly wanting to come in. I eventually decided that he would do better back at the pond where I had found him, where he could be with other ducks and geese. From the moment that he saw the other birds, he never looked back. It's like he does not recognize me now. No more gentle pets, no more hand-feeding treats, no more snuggles. People just can't compete with other ducks/geese.

Welcome,
My flock of 21 won't jump in my lap on command, but they have gotten used to me. A couple of things that at least keep them friendly to me is that I am usually the person who feeds them twice a day. They know the routine and come running when they see me approaching for breakfast and dinner. I bought a stone bench to sit on and feed them, so if they don't come running directly towards me, they meander towards the bench. Feed them by hand as often as you can, I can tell the difference after a couple of days of hand feeding versus flinging their food into the yard with a scoop. While I feed them, some are easier to catch than others. Lately, I've been picking up the friendliest of the female Cayugas and sitting her on the bench next to me. She won't hop on my lap (yet), but will sit side by side while I hand feed her, then hop down when she is full. She's often the easiest to catch. Some of the ducks resist being picked up more than others, some will patiently remain tucked under your arm like a football, some will take the opportunity to crap down your leg!

To make a short story long, patience and repetition.

Enjoy,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom