How to get new hens to warm up to you?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happyhens120, Aug 8, 2011.

1. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    My first 4 ladies were saved from a chicken barn and were doomed to be commercial egg producers. They are Red Stars or Red Sex-links. We got them when they were 17 weeks old.

They are the sweetest more adoring pullets. They sit on your lap, eat from your hands, and even put up with the luvin' from my 3 year old son. They warmed up pretty quickly, and are probably (don't tell the others), my favorites. [​IMG]

So now I have aquired 4 more hens, older than the original ladies, that really want nothing to do with me except for me to bring them food. They do not like to be held or touched, and haven't really warmed up at all. [​IMG]

I also have three 8 week old pullets that are very bashful and don't like to be held, but will tolerate it.

Anybody have any ideas on how to get these gals to warm up and be a little more friendly? I'd like to bond with them as I did with the first bunch, but I'm finding it very hard to do! [​IMG]

Thanks so much!

2. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Keep working at it. Some of my 20 weekolds still run from me but they are starting to come around. I always have lots of treats and I pet them and talk to them as I am giving them treats. They also have to come to me to get the treats.

3. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    buy their love with food... hopefully they'll come around. At least you have the other ones who are comfortable with you.

4. Hopper

Hopper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Ionia
    i am trying to turn my girls into pets too.... no luck yet, but they dont freak anymore when I am around. So it might get better afterall? I hope:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by