how to get our duck to go in his pen at night

khop04730

Hatching
8 Years
May 17, 2011
We just got a 1 year-old Muscovy duck to keep our goose company but the goose doesn't pay any attention to the duck. The goose, duck, and our hens are allowed to roam our farm freely during the day but the hens go into the chicken coop at night and the goose goes to his goose apartment. We were hoping the duck would go in with the goose but he won't. He wanted to go with the hens but they don't like him in their coop so they chased him out. He has been bedding down in the barn next to the dog, who seems to like him and be protective of him. We would feel alot better if we could put him in at night with the goose but we are wondering: 1) how to get him to go in - every time we get him close, he turns and runs out of the barn; and 2) if the goose might be aggressive to the duck if it's locked in his apt. with him at night. It is plenty big enough for them both. Does anyone have any ideas on what we should do? Maybe we should leave well enough alone cuz everyone seems happy, except that we worry about a predator getting the duck at night in the barn if the dog isn't watching.

I also have 4 new almost full grown Pekins (white domestics) that won't go to "bed" so we "herd" them into the cage in area each night before dusk/dark.
There is lots of water on the property so "bathing" is everywhere.
I would herd the duck in...if the goose don't care.
Jim Brown
Lockport NY area

My Mr. Muscovey goes in with the hens at night. They will get used to him. He has gone nite nite with them for 2 years now. He is the first one out in the morning.

I dont really have a problem getting them in BUT... they get treats everynite and I carry them in the same containers in a plastic groc sack... if I shake the plastic groc sack they KNOW what it is and come runnin... they also know what the plastic containers look like and stand at my feet talkin up a storm..
lau.gif

mine get thawed frozen peas, corn, chopped up lettuce and tomatoes.. Id try peas first to make it easy..... doesnt take them long to learn that..
good luck.. l

ohhh maybe you need to partition off the goose ??? i didnt read your post very well.. but treats should get him in..

Last edited:
I agree with Hattiegun, luring him in with treats, and herding him the first few times, and he should pick it up quickly. I have no issue putting my ducks in at night now. I had a bit of trouble when we changed pens, but after 3 nights they had the new routine down as well as the first.

We just go outside with food and water and in they run! I have noticed that feeding some in the morning, but the majority of their feed in the evening helps them look forward to bedtime.

I would in fact be worried about the goose being aggressive. More than ducks, geese tend to be territorial and if they don't accept someone as part of the family, they will let them know. It may be why he's so determined not to go in there at night.

Frankly, if he's sleeping with the dog, he's probably as safe as he would be anywhere else, assuming your dog is a decent size and not a complete pussy. Or, you could lock him in a large dog crate or similar at night by himself.

Sorry the companionship thing didn't work out. I've had the same thing happen. I think maybe geese are more particular about society than ducks are, though I'm basing that purely on anecdotal evidence. Good luck finding companions for them each, though it sounds like your duck may have a canine companion already.
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks everyone for your input. The thing that's starting to feel right so far is to let the goose come around to the duck, as this morning they were actually grooming themselves within 5 ft of each other, but as soon as my hubbby goes out, the goose runs to him. Duck loves bread treats and we did try luring him in with that but no luck. Maybe he senses that the goose might not want him in with him. For now, it's working out well with the dog and duck bedding down at night. The dog is a good-size protector and as long as she's there, duck will be fine. What a relief to have so much input from people with experience in these things!

Back
Top Bottom