How to get pied ringnecks

Garrett906

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 8, 2012
Hi, I want to know what I can breed to get pied offspring, I currently have regular ringnecks, and white ringnecks that have a few black or brown checks on them, if I cross them will I get pied?

IN order to get pied you need two animal that are pied or are 100% for pied. If you breed pied to non pied you get 100% het for pied. If you breed the 100% het pied to a pied you get 50% pied animals and the non pied looking ones carry the pied gene(100% get pied).

I based on my knowledge of breeding reptiles. Some traits are dominant, some co dominant and some recessive. I know with the india blue pied peafowl a pied (TP) x pied (TP) cross will result in 25% of offspring white (TT), 50% pied (TP), and 25% dark pied (PP). Dark pied offspring appear very similar to the India Blue, but white can be found on their wing primaries, and they carry the pied gene. If they are bred to whites, 100% of the offspring will be pied.

So pheasant genetics are more complex than normal pied birds. I know with peafowl and guineas when you cross a white with a wild type you get pied

Last edited:
You might want to try getting ahold of alaskan snow or buff isabel ringecks, which are forms of peid. I will warn you they are hard to find and aren't cheap, the only place I've ever seen them was through strombergs as chicks.

Back
Top Bottom