How to get rid of fleas?!?

Jrd7788

Songster
Oct 27, 2018
Please help! My dog had puppies on the 11th, 4, 2 boys and 2 girls. I was just checking them over today and realized they were crawling in fleas. They’re outside dogs(can’t come inside, my stepdad won’t allow it) and I sprayed the pen down with flea spray and there’s been nothing in the pen they’re in currently for at least 3 months. We’ve been having trouble with fleas this year and I’ve been treating all my dogs with the oral flea pills, flea baths every weekend(can’t on weekdays because school and work) and dusting and spraying every place the dogs are at. I’ve tried everything I can find to get rid of theses fleas and it feels futile that now my two day old puppies are crawling in them. Please help with any ideas how to get rid of them on puppies this young. I’m at my wits end. The fleas are getting out of control, getting on people and the other animals. and my stepdad threatened that if I can’t figure out a way to stop them I’ll have to get rid of my dog. Thank you,
Addie. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Have you been washing/getting rid their bedding and anything they're laying in/on? Some products only kill the adult fleas and leave the eggs behind, which only makes the problem worse.

Remove all the dogs from the area. Wash down and scrub their house, kennel, wherever they're staying. Throw out or wash any blankets, beds, etc. Wash all the dogs again.

Sourland gave you good advice on the Bravecto. I would double check with your vet or a local vet to be sure it's safe for the puppies and the mother.

Be careful with all the products you're using as well. It's easy to overdose when trying to get rid of pests. I would also recommend contacting your vet on this. Hope this helps!

I think you can get Capstar without a prescription. When we adopted our cat (she was just a kitten at the time), she was crawling with fleas. We gave her a Capstar as advised by our vet and watched the fleas fall off of her.
Can you give two(now three) day old puppies capstars?

Have you been washing/getting rid their bedding and anything they're laying in/on? Some products only kill the adult fleas and leave the eggs behind, which only makes the problem worse.

Remove all the dogs from the area. Wash down and scrub their house, kennel, wherever they're staying. Throw out or wash any blankets, beds, etc. Wash all the dogs again.

Sourland gave you good advice on the Bravecto. I would double check with your vet or a local vet to be sure it's safe for the puppies and the mother.

Be careful with all the products you're using as well. It's easy to overdose when trying to get rid of pests. I would also recommend contacting your vet on this. Hope this helps!
I sprayed the whole area down and put new bedding in before I put the puppies in there. I also did the little back tube thingies on the adults

Update: I am going to bathe the puppies and clean out the area and redo the adult dogs treatments and things. This morning when my mom went out to check on them around 10 one of them was dead... :hiti dont know what my luck is this year but it's obviously not good. thanks for all he suggestions

Back
Top Bottom