1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HOW TO GET RID OF HAWKS/OWLS

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by irf1983, Jun 11, 2009.

1. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    Anybody know a trapping method or deterrent that doesn't involve a .22? Beautiful birds, I hate to shoot them.

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Against the law to shoot. (Did I say that?) Hope that you get some blackbirds to come around, they will chase them off.

3. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    running over them is pretty effective.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    They may be beautiful and I have nothing against them in general. But they only want one thing from you - maintain the chicken buffet.

I know a simple method of trapping them... but then what?

What's part two of your plan?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I put netting over top our run. Just don't offer them an easy meal. It is against the law to trap/kill a hawk so I hear. I understand your frustration as we lost alot two years ago to hawks so we fenced them in and put netting over top and now hawks have moved farther away but see them now and then.Good luck!

6. lone cedar farm

lone cedar farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Menlo, Ga.
    Quote:Good point, you cant relocate a hawk just bury them deep! [​IMG]

7. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    Part 2 is driving them an hour away and releasing them. We do have a covered run but I'm concerned about free ranging them.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Most states and provinces have fines for raptor capture and or kills. The fines are in the thousands of dallars- more than enough to pay for a roof on your run...

9. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been told that mirrors and other shiny things reflecting light skyward is a repellant. I threw a bunch of old CDs on top of the netting in my run for that reason.

Having plenty of places where the chickens can take cover is also helpful. Hopefully your roos will spot the hawks and sound the alarm before it's too late.

A tom turkey is supposed to be helpful too. But if you free range chickens at least around here, losing an occasional chicken to a hawk is probably unavoidable. The key is to make your chickens one of the more difficult meals in the neighborhood.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  10. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    I think they taste like chicken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by