How to get started with deep litter in my new run - assuming it's the best option?

Wow, that is an older picture before Hurricane Sandy forced my reinforcements.

Here is a better picture showing the lower 2 feet of the run wrapped in 1/2 hardware cloth, which actually contains the larger pieces.

You can see the depth of the litter.

As it decomposes, the birds scratch it out, where I collect the finished compost.

The boards are necessary to attach the 2 feet of hardware cloth on the bottom sides, and 2x3 fencing on the sides, top, and skirt.

Great system, Ron!!! Using the fence to filter out large particles and the chickens to move the fine compost out of the run is just fantastic...sure does make it easier to collect the composted material.

At the bottom of the run is a board at ground level. Attached to that board is the 2 x 3 fencing covered by the 2 feet of hardware cloth. 2 feet above, is another board. Also attached to that board is the skirt that runs 2 feet outward parallel to the ground to prevent digging. That skirt is also 2 x 3 fencing.

Last edited:

Here you can see where it collects. I simply rake the finished compost. This particular picture was taken after the compost was removed.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. I can't really see that bottom board... so does the compost come out underneath that bottom board?

Sorry, I'm kind of annoyed right now. I was in a zone and was talking to several people about things and for whatever reason, my account wouldn't let me post any more until it had been cleared by admin. So... yeah.

But thank you... I will definitely be in touch.

Back
Top Bottom