How to get started?

rach080296

Songster
5 Years
Jan 29, 2016
I currently have chickens and geese how would I be able to keep quail and what do they need and how many do you need for an egg supply for food or meat and what water and food requirements do they need thank you for all your replies

First you need to decide on a species. They all have their own set of requirements. By what you are saying you want them for (meat & eggs), I'm guessing Japanese quail. They can't be housed with chickens or geese, they'll need their own secure enclosure.
For feed, they should have feed with higher protein than chicken feed, I use gamebird pellets.

Those are just the first points to consider. There is a lot more, but rather than making a long, boring post, perhaps ask some specific questions and I'm sure we'll be able to help.

For the meat and eggs question, I can't really help as I don't raise them for meat or eggs but other members who do should be able to help.

Hope this is a helpful start.

First you need to decide on a species. They all have their own set of requirements. By what you are saying you want them for (meat & eggs), I'm guessing Japanese quail. They can't be housed with chickens or geese, they'll need their own secure enclosure.
For feed, they should have feed with higher protein than chicken feed, I use gamebird pellets.

Those are just the first points to consider. There is a lot more, but rather than making a long, boring post, perhaps ask some specific questions and I'm sure we'll be able to help.

For the meat and eggs question, I can't really help as I don't raise them for meat or eggs but other members who do should be able to help.

Hope this is a helpful start.
You said you can house them with chicken or goose can they the house and electric fence or will they fly out

You said you can house them with chicken or goose can they the house and electric fence or will they fly out
They will fly out, and you'll never see them again. Quail don't have the same kind of home sense that chickens do. Also, pretty much everything likes to eat quail, so it's important that their home be predator proof.

As for how many for meat and eggs, it really depends on how much you want. Quail are very good layers and as long as they have enough light (14-16 hours/day) they will lay pretty much daily unless they're moulting. Four to five quail eggs equal an extra large chicken egg. You'll have plenty of extra boys to eat since the ideal ratio is one roo to 4-6 hens.

Back
Top Bottom