How to get them out of the run

Margot50

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 7, 2012
San Francisco Penninsula
I have several new ducks in a 20 x 8 ft run. I have kept them in to be sure they knew where home was. They do. So now I want to get them to venture out to see the world and discover the pond in the yard. They haven't poked their bills out. Any advice?

I would be thankful for that . . . they feel secure in the pen. Good!

Since it is best (IMO) for them to be supervised when outside the pen, I appoint you their supervisor!
lol.png

Take it slow. They are wise little duckies, not taking too many risks. You can show them that you will be with them, and offer them some treats just outside the pen, let them come out and enjoy the treats as you enjoy them. Then take a few steps farther into the yard, and see what they do. It may take a few outings as they expand their safe territory. Slowly head toward the pond.

Now, I assume there are no snapping turtles or other dangers in the pond, and that the ducks are mature, in full feather. Do I assume correctly?

I am a very protective duck mom, just to let you know.

Got any photo's of your new sweeties?

Do you have a grand daughter? Mine just go in there and gets ours, and brings them to the side of the house were we are. She always puts them back up before we go inside though. Mine are nine weeks old and I have just started letting them stay out for short times without supervision. I do have a year old duck though that they think is their momma. I sort of feel safer with her around them because they follow her. They do need some supervision when younger I noticed ours panting yesterday and I had to walk them to the shade. It was only a few feet away from us, it's where their pool is, and they go in it all the time. They did stay in the shade after I walked them over to it, but never thought of it themselves.

Just leave the door open and leave them alone. They will eventually peek out and then cautiously move outside.

Ducks don't like changes, but they adapt to changed quickly, once they have a good careful look around. They will move outside better if it is at their own pace.

I am going through the same thing. I have a coop with fenced yard and kiddy pool in yard. I took down one side of the yard fence and moved their kiddy pool about 10 feet outside of yard, then have gradually increased distance each day. But they still see their coop as safe and rarely venture out without encouragement.

All great ideas, if not all consistent one to the other!
The ducklets are full grown, about a year old I believe. They pretty much ignore me when I am in the run, although they don't let me touch them, nor will they feed from my hand.
I think that they did not have exposure to treats before they came. I got them from Holderreads about 6 weeks ago. They don't seem to get the concept. They do eat apples, but don't go wild.
lettuce.. ho-humm.....
cooked carrots.. yawn...
fish food in the tub...zzzzzz
scrambled eggs and spinach...What is this stuff.?....
chicken scratch.. you expect us to eat this stuff !?

They do lov their crumbles though and are laying up a storm.
I have not tried peas but will do so.

I think perhaps I will move their tub outside the run just beyond the door next time I am around and can supervise.
I will report back with pictures

Thanks

All great ideas, if not all consistent one to the other!
The ducklets are full grown, about a year old I believe.  They pretty much ignore me when I am in the run, although they don't let me touch them, nor will they feed from my hand.
I think that they did not have exposure to treats before they came.  I got them from Holderreads about 6 weeks ago.  They don't seem to get the concept.  They do eat apples, but don't go wild. 
lettuce.. ho-humm.....
cooked carrots.. yawn...
fish food in the tub...zzzzzz
scrambled eggs and spinach...What is this stuff.?....
chicken scratch.. you expect us to eat this stuff !?

They do lov their crumbles though and are laying up a storm.
I have not tried peas but will do so.

I think perhaps I will move their tub outside the run just beyond the door next time I am around and can supervise.
I will report back with pictures

Thanks

Mine don't really like any of the stuff you named either. They love tomatoes, kale, peas and mill worms. I have frozen peas and carrots that I float in a tub for them. I have to pour out the carrots because they don't eat them. I have heard a few on here say they love watermelon, I'm going to try that next. Well when I go to the grocery store I'm going to get one.

If you don't mind the mess, you could try using a hose on a nice day -- leaving it on so it makes a big puddle near the door to their pen. Or a kiddie pond . . . or a bucket. Or a small bowl. Actually, my ducks get excited when it rains, and take baths in the wet grass, so maybe you should just wait for a rainy day . . .

You might think about putting something to block the openness too -- so they don't feel like they are walking right out into space . . . put a few boxes, temporary poultry fencing, some kind of barrier that they can focus on. Of course, then they will think THAT is scary . . .

My ducks don't like to eat out of peoples hands, but they will eat out of a full bucket near you . . . you could try being a little bit late to feed them their breakfast or what not, and then getting a chair or box and sitting right outside of the door with their food.

My ducks are also very curious -- I bet if you left the door open every afternoon that they would ease out themselves, over time, especially if you started to try to feed them near the door and then out the door . . .

But, at least they know where is safe, so they'll be easy to herd back into their safe area at night!

All I had to do was open the gate and leave. They came out once I wasn't hovering over them. I was afraid they would not want to go back in, but they go back in for dinner every evening.

Back
Top Bottom