How to get your chicks to love you

Thank you Catherine for taking the time to read that long post. I agree with you that dogs are different, in that they are extremely smart. I also think that if there is a domestic animal that can love in a fashion that is close to what we humans call love it is the dog. But even with dogs, (just watch Ceasar Milan) it is about your place in the social order of the pack. They look to you to be the dominant and therefore the smartest of the pack. Horses are the same way, if you are the boss hoss then you had better not lead them into danger or get them hurt or they will not trust you as much. They will say, "you are an idiot and I am not going to go there or do that because I think you are trying to get me hurt". Mules are much worse than a horse when it comes to thinking for themselves and judging your ability to be the boss. Now with chickens, I just don't know. Rooster Red says you have to be the dominate rooster and that sure seems to work with my rooster. But still he tests me everyday to find out if maybe I am getting a little weak and he can be the cock of the walk. ha!
Anyway interesting thread all the way around. I have enjoyed it.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, no need to feel frustrated. But in the case of people there always has been a social pecking order from the family structure, work, play, even the affection within those groups. It is in our nature as social animals to have instincts of higher and lower levels. As a nation we have many social levels(pecking order). And there are times that I feel as a whole we display a inability to love.

OTOH some animals mate for life, show affection to one and another, and even chickens will search out one in their group as a favorite. It is amazing that with a bird(parrots) that they pick a person to bond with, and it has absolutely nothing to do with food or fear or lack of. Purely the drive to be close to another and it may not be even the one who feeds and waters them on a regular basis.

But hey if a person, child, or adult, wants to love a bug, and feel they get love in return who am I to burst their bubble.

big_smile.png

You know, I was just listening to myself out in the coop saying things like, "OK, little chickies, I am going to go mow the lawn, and THEN I will bring you in some fresh grass."

I give them DE to keep them bug free. I bring out little tidbits for treats for them.

And when the neighbor's dogs came down and killed a number of them I responded with a fury that I did not know I possessed. (Not so much directed at the dogs as at their people.)

No matter how they feel about me, I think it is clear that I certainly love THEM.

Which is probably what counts.

Catherine

I personally think love is a difficult, if not impossible thing to define. However, my one and only snuggly chicken likes to be on me and have me pet her not at all for food/treats. I give them treats in bowls on the ground or I hang veggies in their coops, but rarely do I feed them treats out of hand anymore (since it never did me much good and it can be messy). And when I do, it doesn't make any of the others more likely to jump on me or let me touch them. My one pullet who runs to me and jumps on my lap or shoulder and sings to me and gently plays with my hair or clothing and then lays down for a nap or some petting. I don't think I'm a tree or a source of treats. I think she likes me. Maybe I make her feel safe or she enjoys the sensation of the petting. I don't know. How do we define love and affection?

As for prey animals as beings that don't want to be held/hugged/snuggles, I seriously beg to differ. I have personally had many pets and have known many other pets that would be considered prey animals that very much like to be held/hugged/etc... mice, rats, rabbits (rodents in general)... many kinds of birds... sheep, goats, horses, cows, the list goes on and on... all of those animals have much potential to enjoy bonding with humans, including holding, hugging, scratching, snuggling, playing, etc, etc. I agree that if the prey animal views you as a threat, then the animal is less likely to want to be restrained by you... but that is true of any animal, predator or prey... if a dog or cat (predators) view you as a threat, they certainly don't want you to touch or hold them. As has been mentioned in this thread, I think the main deal is becoming a member of the animal's family/community/group/herd/flock. It is developing trust and codependency. If a chicken feels safe, comforted, and calm when held by a human, that chicken will seek it out and look forward to it and trust that human. Same with any animal. Maybe it can or cannot be defined as love or affection, but it all has the same driving force.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom