How to give wormer

kkcamiller

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 4, 2010
I need to find out how to give wormer to my girls. The wormer I bought says to put it in the water. I'm concerned that not all of my girls will get what they need. They seem to enjoy getting water from my goat's water. This also leads me to another question. My girls enjoy going in my goat pen. They like their water and right now the goat shelter seems to be providing relief from the heat for them. Does anyone think this could be a problem for chickens or goats? While I'm on the subject, I'll ask another question. If the poop hole appears to be dirty, is this an indication that something could be wrong. What should I do?

Put it in their water, and confine them for a day or two so that is the only water they can access.

And there you have it.

The poopy bottoms may be a result of them getting into the goat area and the goat feed/manure/etc. Do a search on "poopy bottoms" on this forum. I'll bet you can find an answer.​

Putting wormer in water is guesswork. If there's a sick chicken, it wont drink it. Even if they drink it, they might not be drinking enough to be effective. Additionally, they drink less during cooler/cold temps.
It's best to dose them orally, that way you know they are properly wormed. I recommend valbazen (albendazole)...it kills all worms.1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens, redose again in 10 days to kill larva hatched from eggs.

Back
Top Bottom