How to grow your own mealworms instructions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stilwellchick, Jan 25, 2008.

1. mistyt14

mistyt14 In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    i have meal worms for our lizards and fish. I feed them carrots. I also heat any food (oatmeal, ect) for 20 min at 200 in the oven. the first time i didn't do this i ended up with grain mites and had to dump my whole coloney

2. miraquila

miraquila Hatching

Jun 30, 2013
    I have a question about growing mealworms. I thought I had just hatched a million mealworm eggs, but in reading up on this topic, I believe they might be mites, not mealworm hatchlings. I've looked everywhere on the internet for what a mealworm hatchling looks like vs. mites but found nothing helpful. What do the mealworms look like when they first hatch from the egg? For that matter, what do the eggs look like? What I see are tiny white oval things that move. Thanks!

(I see there is more than one topic on mealworms so I am posting this in two places.)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  3. adoptedparent

adoptedparent Hatching

Dec 10, 2013
    How many chickens are you feeding? How many mealworms do you feed each chicken per day?

4. kubotafoot

kubotafoot Songster

Apr 12, 2014
    Burlington, Connecticut
    I am having great difficulty in raising my meal worms. Followed all directions. Pupa (1 " larva-like crawly things) appear and then just die. What am I doing wrong?

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    First of all, [​IMG] You followed the direction at the beginning of this thread? We need some more details to help you. What kind of container are you using? Are you using a single bin or are you separating pupae? What are you using for substrate? If you're using chicken feed, does it have diatomaceous earth in it? What are you using for vegetables? How often? At about what temperature are they kept? You'll have better luck getting fast answers by posting in the main mealworm thread. Lots of folks subscribe to it and can usually answer any question you have pretty quickly. Hopefully, we can get your colony producing beetles soon!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  6. fionnandeburca

fionnandeburca In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Carlow
    This is really helpful

7. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Nevermind...I just realized the post is a year old...

8. Mistahbue

Mistahbue Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    Brook Park, Minnesota
    So funny - I did a Google search on how to grow your own mealworms and it brought right back here to BYC!!

Thanks for posting the information and the links. I agree the freeze dried are way too expensive - also having the live ones might help entice the Eastern Bluebirds in the yard to come a little closer to pose for photos. LOL

Thanks again!

9. kubotafoot

kubotafoot Songster

Apr 12, 2014
    Burlington, Connecticut
    FYI....The main problem was not enough moisture in the container. I WAS using carrots and they did OK, but it takes a long time for the critters to eat them, so I just figured if there were visable carrots still in the farm, all was OK. WRONG!!! I started using cucumbers and melon rind and potatoes and it was like I hit the trifecta! They disappeared in no time and the farm is thriving. Warning to newbies.....Don't under-water! It slows everything down so very much.

1 person likes this.
  10. birdman55

birdman55 Songster

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    im about to try this myself so hope it goes well...good info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: