How to handle chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lyndatu, Nov 30, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    My chicks are getting used to me. When I put my hand inside the brooder, they won't retreat. They will even chase it. When I rub their backs, they will not run away. But when I want to put them on my hand, when I try to hold their entire bodies to carry them, they will calmly look for what's holding them, then peck. I don't know why, but they just keep doing that. It hurts(physically). When I have to carry them(put them outside to play) they will still do that. So I put my grandmom to do it for me, and she can carry them, because she handles them very roughly; squeezing them too hard, carrying them on their necks. They're screaming/chirping violently. I pity, but they have to be carried. Please help. How do you carry them? Thanks in advance!

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    How old are they ?[​IMG]

3. chickenworld

chickenworld Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    Maybe you could gently scoop them into a container and carry them that way? I've never done it but I hope it helps! [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    When mine were small enough I would hold them with one hand, over their back, holding their wings down.
    They got too big for that pretty soon, so I would have to hold them on one side, holding a wing down with my other had old the other wing down (my hubby could do it with one hand for a lot longer)
    Now well they're pretty big, we still hold wings down, but it takes TWO full hands on each side, then we hold them up against our bodies with a hand under the chest area - just in front of the legs... and cuddle!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I like to say that the easiest way to carry a young or small chick is to pretend it it is sticky cupcake and you don't want to get frosting on your hands. Then when they are older, I say pick them up like a foot ball.

6. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    They're all 1.5 weeks old, but they're getting very big!

Yes, I used a box to take them outside; put some food in it then put it on the door area and they will be trapped.

But I want to hold them to play with them, take pictures of them, and fun stuff. Thanks for the help!

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I always slid two fingers of my left hand between their legs and put my right hand on their back to hold their wings down, still pick them up that way- in fact their stand their and wait for me to pick them up like that...I guess no fear of dropping them that way and no injury. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by