How to hatch peacock eggs

Wolrep

Songster
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
I am thinking about getting some eggs to hatch. Wanted to get some info about what would be the best way to hatch them. I have a sportsman 1502 incubator. Someone told me that you should tie then down sideways for best results is that Tru?

I set about 60 pea fowl eggs in my Sportsman 1202, Genesis 1588 and LG still air this year. No go. They developed but no hatches.
I then stuck the next 20 under my Silkie and Cochin hens. Yup, that worked! Every one that developed (2 did not) has hatched or is developing.
Next year I won't waste my time on the incubator for pea eggs. I can hatch anything else in the bator but not peas.
And yes, I tried everything to get them to hatch, lying them this way or that way and changing the humidity.

Saying that, I took my friends 19 pea eggs to hatch in their new fancy bator and they got 5 to hatch but then 3 died later. Only one was hatched without twisted legs or feet and that is one that is alive and fine. I did straighten the feet on the other one.

That's good to know you helped me save a lot of money in eggs then. Ill just buy chicks and raise them up since that seems to be the safer way to go

My 2 year old hens layed me 62 eggs and out of that 44 hatched if i remember right i had a hen hatch out 4 and i hatched out the rest in my sportsman cabinet bator, i found no difference in hatching eggs that were set pointy side down verses eggs set on their sides, i credit my good hatch rate to the peas diet and the fact that i only open my bator 3 to 4 times threw hatching process

Darn good percentages, Zazouse ... My three 3 year olds have laid 73 eggs and if the remaining 15 hatch, I will have 34 chicks. I know that most of the eggs I lost were lost because I waited too long to set them and/or did not store them properly.

-Kathy

I set about 60 pea fowl eggs in my Sportsman 1202, Genesis 1588 and LG still air this year. No go. They developed but no hatches.
I then stuck the next 20 under my Silkie and Cochin hens. Yup, that worked! Every one that developed (2 did not) has hatched or is developing.
Next year I won't waste my time on the incubator for pea eggs. I can hatch anything else in the bator but not peas.
And yes, I tried everything to get them to hatch, lying them this way or that way and changing the humidity.

Saying that, I took my friends 19 pea eggs to hatch in their new fancy bator and they got 5 to hatch but then 3 died later. Only one was hatched without twisted legs or feet and that is one that is alive and fine. I did straighten the feet on the other one.

Im so sorry to hear that. I didn't know that you had that much trouble hatching in the incubator. So sorry about that.

The first thing is to have eggs from healthy, well-fed hens. After that, most any way that will reliably hatch other poultry should hatch peafowl as well. In the past I have had great success at hatching several hundred peafowl eggs using two different GQF incubators, under bantam or game hens, as well as the peafowl hen herself. I would not try to hatch peafowl eggs in an incubator that you had not previously successfully used. Good Luck, and have fun.

I am trying to hatch a peacock egg, i have tryed candling it, but i can never see anything. this is my 2th year of hatching eggs, but i have only hatched ducks and chickens.

i don't know much about hatching peacocks.

My incubater tem goes up and down all the time, so most of the time it's 98.8 and 99.5 but sometimes in the morning 97.5 and it did get up to 102.6...

So and peacock hatching info would be great
yippiechickie.gif

Hello to all
frow.gif

I'm new to this thread and have read it from the beginning, which unlike some threads, was simple because it's fairly new
smile.png
, and short.

I too tried incubating peafowl eggs this year. Out of 11, only one hatched and had badly deformed legs. I blame it on my calculations and new incubator ownership experimentation error. My Sportsman arrived and I filled it with not only eggs from my pure chickens flocks but also my guineas; and the peafowl, before actually 'knowing' my new incubator. These peas were mailed in eggs, so had another challenge to overcome also.

I've since perfected the chicken hatching and the guinea hatching but am fearful to attempt the peas again. Way expensive and my own male and female are too young to produce yet (had two more females however we have a heavy influx of owls, osprey, hawks and eagles here which make the peas hard to protect... they just love those high places. Have been building a peacock containment area so they have plenty of space and some trees, yet have the protection from predators). Maybe in the future, I'll attempt it again but think I'll stay with babies for the next year.

I'll follow this thread and maybe someone in higher elevations (I'm at 5500 feet) will join and share their expertise. I know I had to tweak my guinea hatching strategy, but now have it perfected.

I just read here that they must be taught to eat, which is something someone mentioned to me earlier this week.....I did not know that, but do now.... thank you for that knowledge!!

I look forward to this thread and all the info and pics offered.

Thank you!!

I am trying to hatch a peacock egg, i have tryed candling it, but i can never see anything. this is my 2th year of hatching eggs, but i have only hatched ducks and chickens.

i don't know much about hatching peacocks.

My incubater tem goes up and down all the time, so most of the time it's 98.8 and 99.5 but sometimes in the morning 97.5 and it did get up to 102.6...

So and peacock hatching info would be great
yippiechickie.gif

Your temp fluctuating like that cannot be good!!
sad.png
Goldenbuffies - do you have your inc in an enclosed temperature controlled area??

Back
Top Bottom