How to hatch under a call duck???

Oct 13, 2023
Hi so I want to hatch some call duck eggs under my call duck jonny
So I am wondering do I put safety holes in the eggs like you would in the incubator??
Do I need to watch to see if they need help?? I know that calls usually need help hatching
And any other information that would be useful thanks :hugs

I am not a duck expert, and I don't study them. I only study chickens. However, I know all broody birds are alike, so I have a question. What will the safety hole do? If the ducklings need help hatching, their dam will help them out by taking the shell off. You shouldn't have to intervene, unless there is something about Calls I don't know. Is your Call already broody or are you trying to make her go broody by providing a nesting box with a clutch of eggs, which can bring out hormones?

Hi so I want to hatch some call duck eggs under my call duck jonny
So I am wondering do I put safety holes in the eggs like you would in the incubator??
Do I need to watch to see if they need help?? I know that calls usually need help hatching
And any other information that would be useful thanks :hugs
No, the hen will assist them if needed. Unless your calls are show quality with the very short bills they won't need any help anyway. Good luck!

So i have a question. What will the safety hole do?
It gives them more oxygen (you put the safty hole in after the internal pip)
you shouldn't have to intervene, unless there is something about Calls I don't know. Is your Call already broody or are you trying to make her go broody by providing a nesting box with a clutch of eggs, which can bring out hormones?
Call ducks have small beaks and short necks so they find it hard to hatch but some people say the mum's don't help the babys some people say they do
My call duck is not broody yet and I have not given her eggs yet I am just planning for this spring this is her first year laying and has only layed 2 eggs so far

What type of birds are you hatching?
Call ducks, if good quality have a hard time hatching.
I will be hatching the eggs of my appleyard call duck pair (I don't have them yet but we are getting them this weekend eeee) they will be good quality calls (my call duck jonny will be a surrogate mum to the babys if she sits)

You will need the safety holes and may even need to put some eggs in an incubator (If there are a lot) Call ducks can sometimes not cover all of their eggs depending on their size so you may need to take care of the rest.
I will watch how big the nest gets so she can sit on them all nicely

Back
Top Bottom