how to hatch with a broody hen

bunniesanchez

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
so one of my chickens is laying eggs (not sure which one it is yet) I have a rooster in their with them which ive seen mount everyone one of them so im pretty sure the egg is fertile. the eggs are being layed on the floor. if I move the eggs to another location maybe a dog crate and she continues to lay will she eventually go broody and sit on them?

if she doesn't sit on them how long do I have to put them into an incubator and try hatching them that way?

HELP!

thank you =)

I have never oncubated,but I believe,just as much asit would take for a hen to hatch ( average,3weeks).

As for her sitting,possible.It depends,on her breed,and conditions.Also,possibly genetics (Family line).

Most hens like a nice shadey type dark place to sit,and calm,and not bothered.
The hen must lay her eggs,although,any broody hen will take eggs.
The eggs must have heat ASAP.And she likey won't brood,ASAP.

Good luck!

ThePRfan

no not yet. my husband just started building one. they started laying before I thought they were ready to lol

I have several different breeds in one coop. there is a total of 5 hens and 1 rooster. two of the breeds I know for sure are buff and a silkie, the rooster is a silkie as well. they have a perch that they sleep in, the eggs ive found have been under the perch and one was actually outside of the coop although I have no clue how they managed to do that

You can use almost anything. I just hatched 9 eggs in my homemade incubator. my 3 hens and rooster are only 9 months old and the baby chicks are over a week old and doing great. I wouldn't wait to long to try and incubate them.

so one of my chickens is laying eggs (not sure which one it is yet) I have a rooster in their with them which ive seen mount everyone one of them so im pretty sure the egg is fertile. the eggs are being layed on the floor. if I move the eggs to another location maybe a dog crate and she continues to lay will she eventually go broody and sit on them?

if she doesn't sit on them how long do I have to put them into an incubator and try hatching them that way?

HELP!

thank you =)
There is no guarantee that your hen will go broody if you move her eggs to a different location. If she's just started laying, it's likely she will not go broody anytime soon. She might, but don't hold your breath. I have left them sit on my kitchen counter for up to two weeks before incubating. Of course, the fresher, the better as far as hatch rates. Some breeds of hens do tend to go broody more often than others, but again - there is no guarantee. I had a buff orpington a few years ago - they are known for broodiness. Not this one. She sat for over a week on a nest of 13 eggs before I found her and decided to move her because she was not in a safe location. I moved her at night, put her in a nice, secluded space, did everything "right". She flipped out, broke all her eggs, and never went broody again. Silkies are notorious for going broody. Hopefully she'll come through for you, but I wouldn't start holding eggs over until she does. If you have a certain time you want chicks, get an incubator. That's the only way you'll get chicks in your time frame.

Back
Top Bottom