how to help a mourning chicken?

snazzyboots

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
baltimore
we had four hens and a few months ago one died. it didn't seem to faze the others. then about 10 days ago another one died. we had a necropsy done and turns out she ate a piece of wire that punctured her stomach and she got septic. since then one of the remaining two has been depressed. i thought she might be sick but she isn't. just doesn't eat much and holds her tail feathers low. she also isn't laying eggs. i'm sure she misses he friend. is there anything we can do for her? or does she just need time? i feel bad for her? any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks

I am so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
I have no advice to offer but am sending good thoughts her way.

I would say she is missing her friend and just needs time. I believe animals miss there family menvers just as much as humans do . Give her time she should come around. If not get her a few new friends.

Just remember if you do add, you should keep the new ones separated for 3-4 weeks, so no one gets sick. Maybe just the excitement of new hens will help, give her something else to think about, even if it is just "pecking" order.

We lost a hen over the 4th of July, she was the bottom of the pecking order, but a companion to our #3. That hen stopped laying for 2 weeks in mourning, and then returned to full strength as an almost daily layer when she felt better. Just give your girls some time, they do make friendships; all of our hens (10 now) have companions or buddies. If they don't snap out of it in a few weeks then think about getting more birds, if that is what you want. Don't do it just for the hen. There is no guarantee she will like the new birds.

Back
Top Bottom