How to help hen injured by cable tie around its neck?

I feed them layers crumbles and scratch. Also table scraps including eggs once a week. They wont touch cracked corn or layers pellets at all, they seem so fussy in that regards.
Sometimes when the alpha chicken gets injured/sick or even just a hard molt, it can change the pecking order within the flock. She can end up being on the bottom for a while. It sounds like this is what happened, but again, I would keep an eye on her for any other signs of illness. She has gone through a stressful time with the cable tie and molting so that can also bring up illnesses which were lying dormant.
Hopefully the pecking order has just changed and she will build her strength back up after molting and fight her way to the top again. Best of luck with her, I will look forward to updates :)

What is your coop/run set-up like?
Sometimes it can be hard to catch birds. I have a few that I usually wait until dark or very early to catch. I do have some that are agreeable as well, but I handled them frequently as chicks and never let up, so...

She seems frail and stressed? Is she eating/drinking well? Have you noted if she is being harassed or overmated by your cockerel?
It would be good if you could get a hold of her and check to make sure her crop is empty in the morning and look her over well.

I tried to catch her this morning before she left the coop. But when I went in through the egg boxes she retreated to the other side. It is too far to reach. But I saw her up close. It appears no redness anywhere on her skin. Her feathers looked in good shape. This afternoon she was with the other hens taking dust baths.

Question: She and the others are 10 months old. Isn't that too early to molt?

The cockerel can mate up to three times a day so far as I can see. But there are 15 hens, so it gets spread around. But I've considered culling the cockerel because he seems too edgy, and 2 weeks ago i thought he was going to attack a repairman who came into the yard, but he didn't. My wife advises against it because she says the hens feel safer with the cockerel around. Any thoughts?

Well I'm glad you got a closer look at her:) Some are hard to catch. I do have the advantage of having a walk-in coop so I can go in early or late when they are roosting and just take one from the roost if I need to.

It's not unusual for a pullet to molt. I have had 2 this year go through a molt between 8-10 months of age. If she's eating/drinking well, then she should be fine.

Your cockerel is just now really starting to mature in my book. Hormones will be surging come spring time and when days get even longer, he will mate as many and as much as he can. They do calm down some when it gets hot and as they age.
Acting like he's going to attack the repairmen it not good, you could be liable for any injuries. Some people that aren't around roosters may also indicate fear, so behavior does come into play.
How does he act with you and your wife? Learning about behavior is going to be a lifetime experience for me and I'm no expert on roosters. I have not had one indicate any human aggression yet. Some people would say cull, but fencing may be an option for you depending on how you are set up.

C152FF8F-F7EE-48DA-A308-7DA9DDE27FED.jpeg When I go into the chicken yard, he stays close to me without being threatening. Frequently he will also flap his wings. But he does have a meanacing quality about him that the girls do not.

Some one mentioned that his spurs seem sharp and may injure the hens during mating. Don’t know what to do about that.

My wife likes him and calls him “Soldier”.

If he becomes more aggressive, i’d Be tempted to catch him, hold him upside down, then walk him through the flock slowly. I read that is a good cure for an aggressive rooster.

He’s a Delaware, which I thought was a relatively docile breed.

View attachment 1663266 When I go into the chicken yard, he stays close to me without being threatening. Frequently he will also flap his wings. But he does have a meanacing quality about him that the girls do not.

Some one mentioned that his spurs seem sharp and may injure the hens during mating. Don’t know what to do about that.

My wife likes him and calls him “Soldier”.

If he becomes more aggressive, i’d Be tempted to catch him, hold him upside down, then walk him through the flock slowly. I read that is a good cure for an aggressive rooster.

He’s a Delaware, which I thought was a relatively docile breed.
Yes, I had mentioned that his spurs looks awfully sharp, especially for a 10month old? Is he older than 10months?
I would blunt them. You can use a dremel to cut the points off, then smooth them a little more with a sanding wheel or if you are inclined, file them smooth/blunt them with a bastard file.

Carrying him upside down through the flock will do nothing. Carrying him like a football to shame him would do nothing. Chickens do not have shame. You will get a LOT of opinions on how to handle a cockerel/rooster.
All I can tell you is what I have done with mine.
I move fairly slow anyway, but when I walk into the run, I continue walking and go where I'm going. Chickens learn to move out of the way. I don't kick, jump or start at them. Mine move, if not they get stepped on. I do not try to dominate my rooster, he is there to do his job and so am I. I do not stop him from mating and crowing in my presence. I do not chase, hit, kick, harass or use a stick. When I am feeding or doing chores, I really don't pay him or even the hens much attention. I go about my business and they do the same.
I DO have interaction time. This is in addition to chores. I hang out in the run and just watch. I find a place and just watch. I DO pick up my rooster every day. Not to dominate, not to correct - I just like him. He doesn't seem to mind, he knows when I'm going to and stands there. I place him on the table in the run and we have a little daily chat. I don't provide a treat, I pet him, inspect his feathers, etc. I am not holding him tightly. Once on the table he can walk around if he wishes, but usually he stands there enjoying the attention. Sometimes I do put a little oil on his comb/wattles or legs. That large comb gets dry, especially in winter. I pet him up and walk off.
Same with hens/pullets - some really enjoy the petting, others not - those that don't want handled, I leave them alone except for a weekly check.

Probably none of this will help you - I do see a lot of people on the behaviors forum that are frustrated with their rooster and I see lots of suggestions that don't seem to work.

47909E4F-1DF3-473D-A82A-FD73B89B1101.jpeg 7354326D-89B9-4D36-BBF2-4C61F0281CB7.jpeg The injured white Delaware hen appears to have recovered. I see no exposed skin and she was out in the yard with the other chickens. I am glad of this, for I was worried about her. My thanks to the many who took their time to provide advice and information.

Yes, I had mentioned that his spurs looks awfully sharp, especially for a 10month old? Is he older than 10months?
I would blunt them. You can use a dremel to cut the points off, then smooth them a little more with a sanding wheel or if you are inclined, file them smooth/blunt them with a bastard file.

Carrying him upside down through the flock will do nothing. Carrying him like a football to shame him would do nothing. Chickens do not have shame. You will get a LOT of opinions on how to handle a cockerel/rooster.
All I can tell you is what I have done with mine.
I move fairly slow anyway, but when I walk into the run, I continue walking and go where I'm going. Chickens learn to move out of the way. I don't kick, jump or start at them. Mine move, if not they get stepped on. I do not try to dominate my rooster, he is there to do his job and so am I. I do not stop him from mating and crowing in my presence. I do not chase, hit, kick, harass or use a stick. When I am feeding or doing chores, I really don't pay him or even the hens much attention. I go about my business and they do the same.
I DO have interaction time. This is in addition to chores. I hang out in the run and just watch. I find a place and just watch. I DO pick up my rooster every day. Not to dominate, not to correct - I just like him. He doesn't seem to mind, he knows when I'm going to and stands there. I place him on the table in the run and we have a little daily chat. I don't provide a treat, I pet him, inspect his feathers, etc. I am not holding him tightly. Once on the table he can walk around if he wishes, but usually he stands there enjoying the attention. Sometimes I do put a little oil on his comb/wattles or legs. That large comb gets dry, especially in winter. I pet him up and walk off.
Same with hens/pullets - some really enjoy the petting, others not - those that don't want handled, I leave them alone except for a weekly check.

Probably none of this will help you - I do see a lot of people on the behaviors forum that are frustrated with their rooster and I see lots of suggestions that don't seem to work.
Thanks for that info. The guy who carried his rooster upside down through the flock says it worked...

View attachment 1666062 View attachment 1666063 The injured white Delaware hen appears to have recovered. I see no exposed skin and she was out in the yard with the other chickens. I am glad of this, for I was worried about her. My thanks to the many who took their time to provide advice and information.
Great news, she's looking good :love
Thank you for the update!

View attachment 1666062 View attachment 1666063 The injured white Delaware hen appears to have recovered. I see no exposed skin and she was out in the yard with the other chickens. I am glad of this, for I was worried about her. My thanks to the many who took their time to provide advice and information.

Thanks for that info. The guy who carried his rooster upside down through the flock says it worked...
So glad that she is feeling better!

Well, if your rooster starts acting up, all I can tell you is try it and see if it works:)

Back
Top Bottom