How to help hens recover from mites

Sleep_Deprived

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2019
Recently I discovered my flock was suffering from mites and lice, and one of the hens was so weak she can’t sit up. She’s still able to eat and drink fine, she just couldn’t get enough strength to make her legs work. I’ve read about it and I’m guessing she’s anemic. I’ve since cleaned the chicken coop out totally including all the bedding, sprayed down the roosts and floor, and dusted all the hens with powder to kill the parasites. I put totally new bedding in and plan to treat it twice more in five to seven days. What I’m concerned about is how do I help the hens recover from it? Some of them seem fine while others are weak and don’t have hardly any energy. Is there anything I can do to help them get their strength back? Or help prevent this from happening in the future? Also can turkeys suffer from the same mites?

Turkeys will get the same mites and lice as chickens. To help your flock good diet ( any treats they like), vitamins in the water, and some time. If it's just the effects of mites, it should not take long for recovery; birds heal fast. But are you sure they are not suffering from something else? Once the body is weakened other health problems are likely to occur.

Back
Top Bottom