? How to help with these legs

chickmomma18

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Downingtown Pa

Your picture is quite "fuzzy" .. please re-post a better closeup. I'll take a wild guess that it could possibly be scaly leg mites but just can't be sure.

That's as good as I can get. I've dipped her in warm water and put oil on her feet 2x's and cleaned out the entire coop putting garden dust and some DE on the base

That's as good as I can get. I've dipped her in warm water and put oil on her feet 2x's and cleaned out the entire coop putting garden dust and some DE on the base
Try and have someone else take the pics for you while you hole her. Give us a shot of the top of the foot, the side of the foot and the underside, too.

From what I can see, and while it is in an odd place on the foot, it does almost look like bumblefoot to me. Since we're not positive on that for now what I would do is: wash her foot in some warm water with a tiny bit of Dawn detergent in it to get that oil off her foot. Then spray the areas with Vetericyn Spray, then bandage it with Vet Wrap (kinda looks like gauze but it sticks to itself, makes a great wrap). Remove the wrap and have a look in a couple of days and see if there's any improvement. If it looks like it's gotten worse, post additional pics and we can maybe better help you at that time.

But in the meantime see if you can't find someone to take the pics for you and get the focus better.

From this pic (thanks BTW)..this doesn't appear to be bumblefoot. With bumblefoot the foot pad area swells up real bad and there's like a 'blackish scab' in the center of the swelling. This almost looks like some kind of injury to the foot that has gotten infected. I'm hoping one of the BYU gurus on foot problems will be along shortly and can give you better advice.

That's the best I could do. They actually looks better than when I first spotted it. However, I did soak them in dawn warm water for several minutes & I put the oil back on because it seems to be working. Tomorrow I will get the liquid bandaid for her. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom