how to housebreak a puppy?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bufforp89, Nov 17, 2009.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    How do you housebreak a puppy? I have heard to crate them, use puppy pads, keep taking them outside, ect. What have you personally done to housebreak your own puppies?

I just got a shih-poo [​IMG] a few days ago. She is really tiny, like 3 pounds and the cutest puppy I have ever seen! I have been trying to take her outside but she is so tiny and its getting really cold, she has a sweater and Im getting her a coat but she shivers anyways and is really afraid of everything outside so its not going really well. I should have pictures by this evening.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I would recommend the puppy pads! I have always just trained them to the door but in your case the smallness of the breed I would try the pads! I heard the shakin is because they are more scared than cold?

3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    This is gonna sound weird, but I have 5 dogs and this is how I trained them and it worked!! I took a pair of toddler sized underwear, cut a whole in the back for the tail to go through. When the dog is in the house, keep the underwear on them. When you take them out immediately take them off and when they go, praise them like mad! [​IMG] For some reason they didn't try to squat to pee or poop with the underwear on. It just worked! [​IMG] Okay, do you think I'm weird now?! LOL!!!

4. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    There are lots of good books on puppy training and they all discuss housebreaking, or google it to get information. We've always crate trained our dogs, and it's worked very well. I would hesitate to use the pads because it trains them to go inside rather than outside and it would be just one more thing that would need to be cleaned daily - just my opinion. It also depends on your situation and what you want. Do you live in an apartment and won't be home much of the day to let her out or are you home and would be able to take her out when needed? Think about what you want in the long run, then train her to that end. Good luck and have fun - puppies are so wonderful!

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    When Leo was little we took him outside often. He went out right after he ate, right after he woke up, and at least every 20 minutes while he was awake. Everytime he did his business outside he got lots of praise and even some treats. When he would start to squat in the house, he was immediately taken outside. He was never punished for inside mistakes. After all, those were my mistakes, not his. I work, but there were others people in and out of the house all day. If there was a period during the day he would be alone, he was in his puppy corral on linoleum with puppy pads. For the first 2 weeks he slept in his crate next to the bed. I slept with my hand next to the crate with my fingers through the grate so he could touch me. He was 8 weeks old when we got him and trained by the time he was 10 weeks old. He never had an accident in the house after he was 4 months old. The only drawback to my method is that he still likes me to watch him go potty outside and tell him what a good boy he is. He sometimes will actually hold it until he knows that I am looking. [​IMG]

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I would suspect that the shivering has less to do with her being cold and more to do with her being fearful or fretful of her unfamiliar surroundings. I think a few walks and playful acitivity outside so she get comfortable with being out there would be a great place to start.

I have always had great luck with Crate training. Lots of books and information on this but basically the pup spends time in the crate and comes out of the crate goes outside and BOOM! back in for some play and reward and then back in the crate waiting for the next boom boom.

This works much better if you are able to be there all the time. How old is the pup

Some are much easier than others that is for sure.

After they sort of get the hang of it I have had great luck with sending the dog to a gravled area in the back yard and give the "go to work" command. Boom Boom on command it was an awesome thing.

Won a lot of bets with a bassett hound that would dutifully trot to the spot and perform so to speak with a quiet request to "go to work" It was awesome if we knew we were in for a long car ride or something.. Never had a kid that cooperative. LOL

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  7. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Take them outside everytime they wake or move and say go potty. They get the hint and learn very quick. Make sure to crate them at night in a crate just big enough for them to turn around or they will use to crate to pee in at night.

Puppy pads work but its hard to get them to go outside after they learn to go on them.

The diapers work o.k. but you have to remember to take them out frequently- most dogs are around 6 mo old before they can hold it for very extended periods of time.

Also if the dog has an accident dont punish it just dab it up with a paper towel and put the paper towel outside and take the puppy to that spot to go. This works really well with males

There are many differnt ways that work well it just depends on which way the dog responds better to

There is also litter box training which is great for dogs that dont get over 5 lb full grown and you do it the same as the other ways just instead of taking the puppy outside take it to the box.

Good luck

8. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Take them out frequently! Every half hour, after every meal, nap, play time, etc. Small dogs are notoriously hard to potty train, so BE CONSISTENT! And definitely crate train!!!!!! I can't imagine having a puppy and not crate training.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We crate trained our GSD pup, Jax. When he was little he was in his crate except when we were right there with him. We took him out first thing in the morning, after playing, before and after each meal, and again before bedtime. It seemed like we were taking him out every five minutes, but it was so worth it not to be cleaning up accidents in the house.
    Use the same door to take them out every time and praise! praise! praise! when they go potty outside.
    He was housebroken so fast it was amazing.
    I agree that puppy pads give them the idea that pottying in the house is okay, when it most definitely is not.
    Now we are in the process of deciding where to put a second huge crate for the new pup coming in February. [​IMG]

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    It sounds like she needs to get used to being outside. Take her out and sit down and let her explore starting from your lap. This takes a while, maybe several days. You can also hold her and walk around just to get her used to the sounds and smell of being outside. Once she is comfortable outside it will be easier to potty train her.
    The suggestions you got for potty training are good. When she first wakes up in the morning and from naps. About 1/2 an hour after she eats. Before you put her to bed for the night. It's an all day thing. You also need to remember that she physically isn't going to be able to hold it for very long. So, it's up to you to learn the signs that she needs to go and then move quick to get her outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by