How to identify a gamefowl chick.

Rocky64

Chirping
Jan 25, 2015
Hi, I was wondering if there is any special markings or anything that would set a day old gamefowl chick apart from other chicks of different breeds.
All BYC rules apply.

Hi, I was wondering if there is any special markings or anything that would set a day old gamefowl chick apart from other chicks of different breeds.
All BYC rules apply.

Generally very different body type and pose and behavior, as well as feathering differences, in my limited experience. But it does depend how old the chick is and what type of gamefowl.

If you can specify what breed of gamefowl you're talking about it would help. Color would also help to know.

(You don't need to say all BYC rules apply, though, that's a given). ;)

I too am wondering this question right now, 'markers' of the genes, because one of my outcrossed cockerels is showing strange and unusual shoulder feathering. Very tight, shiny, small and round like fish scales. (Most birds in my flock, even the half-sibling of that cockerel, have larger feathers there even at the same age, and most have pointed ones more than round ones).

Best wishes.

Thanks for responding, I want to know because I think TSC has some game chicks in the bantam bin and I would like to get a game, and not a Cochin. So the chicks would be about a day old, I have no idea what type of game would be in the batam bin.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding, I want to know because I think TSC has some game chicks in the bantam bin and I would like to get a game, and not a Cochin. So the chicks would be about a day old, I have no idea what type of game would be in the batam bin.

Done some looking... And I don't think you'll be able to ID them offhand, sorry. This page I'll link to (below) might help... It shows you some types of Gamefowl and their chicks too. Also, if you prefer and if it's feasible, you could buy gamefowl chicks direct from a supplier like this, then you'll know for sure.

Taking chicks from 'bins' in produce stores or the likes is really a lot like playing the lottery. ;) Sometimes you get lucky, mostly you don't! (Obviously your odds are better than in an actual lottery though).

If you decide to gamble on the chicks anyway (if you like the look of them, go for it IMO, it'll be educational at the least and maybe you'll get lucky) --- you could post photos of them here. There are some very experienced people here that could most likely ID them for you. If you can get their attention, that is. There's another lottery to play, lol.

Quote:
Best wishes. Hope you get what you're after.

I will probably just buy some grey gamefowl from a breeder I got in touch with.

Probably a better idea, especially if you want quality birds. Provided the breeder's a good one.

Best wishes.
Thanks, from the sounds of it, he sounds like he has quality stock. I did request a pic of both parents, just waiting for the pics.

Back
Top Bottom