How to identify chick breed mixes

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlels, Oct 2, 2012.

1. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    We have a light sussex rooster in with the following hens: light sussex, buff orpington, rhode island red, turken, black copper marans, black sex link, and partridge rocks. We hatched some eggs in the incubator and some were very easy to identify as cross breeds and I know that light sussex chicks are all white.

My question is...will any of the crosses above come out all white like the light sussex above but then turn out to be a cross breed?

Below are examples of some of my chicks that just hatched:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My broody hatched out some that are all white and some that were white with black on their heads and backs like picture two a few weeks ago and they are turning out to look like the partridges.

Anyway, if someone could help me with my question above I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    the 2nd one looks like a pure light sussex. they all look really cute and healthy. the plain ones may be from the sexlink chickens.

3. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    I know the 2nd is not a pure light sussex unless they can present as a baby with black spots on the head and down the middle of the back. I purchased a dozen LS chicks from a very reputable breeder and all of the chicks were completely white like the 4th one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by