how to identify mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by laurie9503, Jul 7, 2011.

1. laurie9503

laurie9503 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    My chickens love to roost in the window sill. The sill is too small now that the chicks are teenagers. So, I just last night made it bigger. They have plenty of roosting poles at different heights but prefer the window sill. Anyway....they push each other sort of into the screen of the window to all fit, and I think they may be rubbing some feathers off their face by doing so. But I'm not sure because I'm new to chickens. As they get older, I notice some pink skin on their faces. Can some one look at the three attached pictures and tell me if this looks normal, or if feathers are missing, of if you think it would be mites? I did check their skin underneath feathers and near the vent. It all looks clean and good. Pictures is a buff orpington, salmon favorelle, and rhode island red.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    They all look normal to me.

3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    They look really good. They might be rubbing their heads on something but there is surely no damage yet. By the way... you have some very nice looking birds.

Good Luck

CDA

4. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    I'n no expert but they look fine to me. It's normal to have skin showing a little behind the eye - that's their ear.

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    That is their ear and it looks just fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by