How To Increase Egg Production?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizardboy55, Jun 23, 2016.

1. lizardboy55

lizardboy55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hello All!

I have six hens to which are about two years old. We are averaging about two eggs per day. I know as they get older egg production slows down but I didn't think it was until year three or four.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can help increase the egg production? Yesterday we got no eggs for the first time! Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

We have been letting them run around and they seem pretty happy. We also have baby ducks in a coop right across from theirs, and everyone is paying more attention to the ducklings. Could this be a problem? I sit by the hens to help out with this. Even if the babies are in a separate coop, could they still stress out the other girls? This is just getting a little frustrating and I would like to know how I can solve the problem, or if it's just natural.

Thank You!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The best production is the first two seasons than production will start to decrease. It can depend on breeds as some have better laying longevity than others. Most hens will quit laying around 5-6 years, some like sex links can quit by 2-3 years. The best way to increase production is to add new birds every few years.

3. djronron

djronron Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    Louisiana
    You may want to keep an eye out. I have an egg eater in the coop. I have 9 laying hens and was getting 7 to 9 eggs a day. Then I notice what seem to be yolks dried up on the eggs I was collecting. Soon I will catch the egg eater and will become a freezer hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by